Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Traceroute and Ping

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 02:48 AM

Hello, I have 2 questions:

1: is it normal to not be able to run proper traceroutes from a windows device connected through VIA? I only get time-outs when using traceroute, even though the connection works fine. Ping works fine as well.

2: is it normal that on the Aruba controller, a traceroute to an IP on the internet works fine, but a ping to that exact same IP times out?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:30 AM

Your outbound firewall could be blocking it...

• 3.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:38 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

The firewall does not filter any outgoing traffic as far as I know. I will make sure by connecting my laptop to the same connection.

So it's not normal I guess? Ping to an internet IP works okay for you?

• 4.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:47 AM

Ping does work for me with VIA to the internet, yes.

• 5.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:49 AM
    Ping from VIA to internet works me too. But how about Traceroute from VIA to internet?

And how about Ping from Controller to internet?

• 6.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:51 AM

Ping from the controller to the internet should work, definitely.  Traceroute from VIA to the internet does work for me, as well.

• 7.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:53 AM
    Thank you. I'll try updating the controller to latest software, try on Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 and I'll do some more checking on firewalls etc.

• 8.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:53 AM

It should work regardless of the software.  Who controls your internet firewall?

• 9.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:55 AM
    I do :)

• 10.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 05:56 AM

Can you see if Ping traffic is being dropped by the firewall?  The controller is a layer 3 switch and should be able to ping with no problem.

• 11.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Apr 23, 2014 06:11 AM

It's not blocked on the firewall. I did notice something else now though. It seems it's only Google servers that do not respond to my pings from the controller.

I tried ping 8.8.8.8 and ping 173.194.65.94 , both do not respond to ping (but traceroute works fine on them!). I tried some other IP's now and they DO work.

8.8.8.8 and 173.194.65.94 also DO respond to ping on VIA clients (who go through this same controller to the internet, so same public source IP etc.). Hmmmmm.

Might it have to do with not having a DNS server defined on the controller? Hmmm no shouldnt matter. I have no idea tbh. And why would it only be google servers. Weird. Does 8.8.8.8 ping for you from the controller?

• 12.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

Posted Nov 17, 2014 11:09 AM
    It seems as though, this is happening to me as well.
    Odd, I used to be able to ping 8.8.8.8 from the controller, now not so much.

I know that google does do IPv6 on dns resolution.
    Validated and ipv6 is disabled on my controller so it should resolve on ipv4.

I double checked a few other controllers and none of them can ping 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or any IP that google.ca or google.com resolves to.

odd.

• 13.  RE: Traceroute and Ping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2014 12:01 PM

pmonardo,

Any device in the path between you and 8.8.8.8 can stop ping and/or traceroute.  Why not find the ip address that is closest to your border and see what works and what does not work, hop by hop...