Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Traceroute and Ping

Hello, I have 2 questions:

1: is it normal to not be able to run proper traceroutes from a windows device connected through VIA? I only get time-outs when using traceroute, even though the connection works fine. Ping works fine as well.

2: is it normal that on the Aruba controller, a traceroute to an IP on the internet works fine, but a ping to that exact same IP times out?

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Traceroute and Ping

Your outbound firewall could be blocking it...

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

The firewall does not filter any outgoing traffic as far as I know. I will make sure by connecting my laptop to the same connection.

So it's not normal I guess? Ping to an internet IP works okay for you?
Guru Elite

Ping does work for me with VIA to the internet, yes.

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Frequent Contributor II

Ping from VIA to internet works me too. But how about Traceroute from VIA to internet?

And how about Ping from Controller to internet?
Guru Elite

Ping from the controller to the internet should work, definitely.  Traceroute from VIA to the internet does work for me, as well.

Frequent Contributor II

Thank you. I'll try updating the controller to latest software, try on Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 and I'll do some more checking on firewalls etc.
Guru Elite

It should work regardless of the software.  Who controls your internet firewall?

Frequent Contributor II

I do :)
Guru Elite

Can you see if Ping traffic is being dropped by the firewall?  The controller is a layer 3 switch and should be able to ping with no problem.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: