Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 14, 2018 07:43 AM

Hello,

We are running 6.5.3.6 with centralised licensing.

Some time ago we swapped the roles of our Master/Standby Master. The only wrinkle left is that a bunch of the licenses are installed on the Standby Master (what was the Master). It all still works but for tidyness sake it would be good to transfer those over from the STDBY to the Master.

So I assume I would delete them from the STDBY, then add them to the Master - but I would need to update the licensing portal with the new Master's serial number attached to the licenses.

I'm not sure how this will affect the live service, or what order to perform the steps in.

Will updating the portal with the new serial number generate a new license key? Will any part of this process mean that the existing APs will need to reboot to pick up a new license? (Note they are already configured to talk to the correct Master)

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 14, 2018 08:22 AM

Hello,

Good question.

You can change it on the portal before transfering the licenses, and the licenses will stay active on the standby.

It will not make a new license key, you can use the same one as far as i am aware.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:10 AM

Thanks, this is useful.

Once I delete the licenses from the STDBY and install them on the Master will this affect the operation of the running APs?

• 4.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:23 AM

No, As long as centralised licensing is enabled, there should be no down time at all for what you are trying to accheive.

Please make sure you apply the licenses too the master BEFORE deleting them from the local to avoid downtime.

• 5.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 15, 2018 04:02 AM

Thanks again - I know this is splitting hairs - but just to emphasise that we are transferring from a stanbdby master to the master, not from a local to the master (you mention local in your message). I'm guessing you wrote that out of habit but wanted to be sure! 

• 6.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 16, 2018 03:55 AM

I did indeed write that out of habit!

It's always good to be sure before doing changes! but yes I did mean standby!

Put the new licenses on the master, then remove them off the standby :)

Thanks,

Ben

• 7.  RE: Transferring licenses from Standby to Master

Posted Aug 16, 2018 03:56 AM

Thanks for clarifying!