Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

Posted Nov 06, 2012 12:59 PM

I am trying to set up a trigger to send me an email when an AP fails over to the backup LMS as defined in the AP-system-profile.  I have preemtion enabled but in my experience that is not 100% reliable so I would like to get an email so I can have the help desk easily address these issues.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:55 PM

You need to upgrade to 6.1 and then enable the trap below on the controller (and have AMP as an SNMP trap receiver).  Once you do that, you can create a trigger on AMP to fire when it receives this trap using the "Device Event" trigger and then match on the Event Contains filter (specify that the Event contains "wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange").

wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange
    Objects wlsxTrapTime, wlsxTrapAPMacAddress, wlsxTrapApControllerIp,

wlsxTrapApMasterStatus Status current

Description This trap indicates that the status of the AP as seen by the master controller has changed. It is generated only by the active master controller (including single

controller deployments). Anytime an AP comes up, goes down or moves from one controller to another, this trap is generated.

• wlsxTrapApControllerIp—The IP address of the controller to which the AP is currently registered (or was most recently registered in the case of “down” status).

• wlsxTrapApMasterStatus—The current (changed) status of the AP.
      Numeric value 1 is “up” —The AP was previously down and is now up. Numeric value 2 is “down” —The AP was previously up and is now down. Numeric value 3 is “move”—The AP was previously up on one controller and now up on a different controller.

History Added in ArubaOS 6.1

• 3.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

Posted Dec 05, 2012 02:55 PM

Thanks,

I am getting thes alert.  Any way to make them more user friendly for the help desk?  I understand how to read it but I am afraid they will not.

this is what I get

Message: wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange wlsxTrapAPMacAddress.0: 6C:F3:7F:C0:2F:E7, wlsxTrapApControllerIp.0: 10.12.100.47, wlsxTrapApMasterStatus.0: down(2), wlsxTrapTime: 12/5/2012 10:45:35 UTC-7

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2012 03:03 PM

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to make this more user friendly at this time.  The manner of how the trigger outputs is built into the AMP code.  It'd require some patching to customize.  I'd suggest opening a support case to see if they can create a patch or file a feature request.  You can also submit this through the Ideas Portal on the support website.

• 5.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2012 04:37 PM

What version of AMP are you running?  What version of firmware?

The trigger for wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange was introduced into AOS firmware 6.1.  Support for AOS 6.1 was added in AMP 7.2.  AMP's current latest release is 7.5.6.

• 6.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

Posted Nov 06, 2012 04:44 PM

AOS 6.1.3.3

AMP 7.5.4

I have set up the trigger and am waiting for an AP to fail over.  I will update when I see the results.

Thanks for the posts!

• 7.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

Posted Nov 07, 2012 11:55 AM
      |   view attached

Ok so I am not really seeing this working.   I am not received any emails and I do not see any events under alerts.

On the controller I see this

show snmp trap-queue

2012-11-07 09:32:06 BSSID 00:0b:86:79:d0:b2 on AP (00:0b:86:cf:9d:0b::2) is up

2012-11-07 09:32:06 BSSID 00:0b:86:79:d0:b2 on AP (00:0b:86:cf:9d:0b::2) has changed. Change type is 1

show snmp trap-list | include NAP
    wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange Yes Enabled

and I have attached a screenshot of the airwave trigger setup. 

• 8.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2012 12:10 PM

I'm curious whether AirWave ever received a trap of type wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange.  If you to to the System -> Syslog & Traps page and filter on fwlsxNAPMasterStatusChange in the Message column, do you see any entries?

• 9.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

Posted Nov 07, 2012 12:24 PM

No, it never showed up there.  Looking at the airwave with aruba guide I see that I was missing a command of snmp-server trap source IP.  I had the  I have added this and maybe that will fix it?

• 10.  RE: Trigger email for AP on backup lms?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2012 12:30 PM

That should do the trick.  You should also make sure that the trap is enabled:

ssh admin@controller.ip

# en

# conf t

# show snmp trap-list | include wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange

If it's enabled, then you should be fine.  If it's disabled, you'll want to pass this command:

# snmp-server trap enable wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange