Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Turning Off 2.4GHz radio

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Turning Off 2.4GHz radio

Posted Nov 09, 2017 02:33 PM

Hello,

We are small liberal art college with roughly 1,400 students and 300 faculty.  The majority of our campus is outfitted with 200 series AC devices.  I am noticing that channel 11 gets pounded throughout our campus from those that are still using the 2.4 radio.

I am thinking about turning the 2.4 radio off to see how, or if it improves the wireless environment.  All of our 200 series APs are densly populated, so I am not worried about through put if we turn the 2.4 radio off.

Any thoughts.

• 2.  RE: Turning Off 2.4GHz radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 02:50 PM

You would typically first reduce the transmit power on the 2.4ghz band to something like 9 or 6 so that devices do not prefer it, first.  If you turn off 2.4ghz, none of the devices that are 2.4ghz only will work.  

• 3.  RE: Turning Off 2.4GHz radio

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:39 PM

Can I turn the power down on the 2.4 with out affecting ARM?  Is there an easy way of doing this?

• 4.  RE: Turning Off 2.4GHz radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:48 PM

You can set the max and min tx-power in the arm-profile.  Just check to make sure it is not in use by both radio profiles first.