Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Turning off Band Steering

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Turning off Band Steering

Posted Apr 10, 2014 03:42 AM

We had some Windows Wireless clients being connected and disconnected from the network most of the time, to troubleshoot the issue, I disabled the Band Steering  under the VAP profile and most of the workstations are working much better.

However, I discovered the Band Steering is still running on some (maybe all) the AP225 AP and the connected workstations are having the same issue. Airwave shows the Band Steer message. Continuous Ping test on those workstations failed 1 out of 4 times

I am just wondering where I can turn the band steering completely off. We got a mix of AP105 and AP225 and they are in different building.

Any suggestions?

Many  Thanks

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

Posted Apr 10, 2014 08:04 AM

You should probably open a TAC case .

Were you using force-5Ghz under the Band Steering options ?

If you would like to turn off band steering you will have to do it at the Virtual AP, which it is disable by default

(CONTROLLER) (Virtual AP profile "SECURE-VAP") #no band-steering

• 3.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 08:29 AM

If clientmatch is enabled, it is responsible for Bandsteering and the Bandsterring knob is ignored:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/ARM/Client_Match.htm

Your issue with missing 1 out of 4 pings is most likely a different issue, so like Vfabien says, you should open up a TAC case so that your environment can be reviewed.

• 4.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 01:42 PM

• 5.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

Posted Apr 10, 2014 07:25 PM

are these devices using Intel NICs?

I've seen issues with some Intel NIC's and Client Match that required a NIC uprade for the problem devices.

Had something to do with the NIC not being able to handle the Client Match underlying protocols.

Scott

• 6.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

Posted Apr 11, 2014 12:56 AM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

I am very tempting to turn the client match off.   Since it happens to some of the windows workstation, never on Mac and IPad, I am not sure if it is an Aruba AP issue, or the combination.

Yes, those computers having issues are using Intel Wireless NIC and I just updated the drivers. it is working better. I am going to monitor it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the tips.

• 7.  RE: Turning off Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2014 01:14 AM

@scottdoorey wrote:

are these devices using Intel NICs?

I've seen issues with some Intel NIC's and Client Match that required a NIC uprade for the problem devices.

Had something to do with the NIC not being able to handle the Client Match underlying protocols.

Scott

scottdoorey,

Please be precise:

What intel NICs?  What driver versions?  What underying protocols?