Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:02 AM

Hi all,

I am looking to turn off the slower data rates (1 and 2mbps for sure) on the 2.4GHz frequency range in order to minimise drive-by IP address grabbing, and increase performance. Prior too, has anyone else done this / experienced problems or knows of kit which ceases to function ?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:09 AM

There are  few older devices that are not compatible with turning off older rates and would not connect if they do not see them advertised.  A better approach is to use the local-probe-request-threshold parameter under the Advanced Tab of the SSID profile.  That will make the APs on that SSID ignore probe requests for any clients whose signal strength is lower than what is configured.  Start with 20 or 25 and see the result.

• 3.  RE: Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 02:05 PM

Some of the devices that have been reported to have had issues with lower data rates removed are:

• Xbox
    • PS3
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Blackberry handsets
    • Some handhelds devices such as legacy scanner guns and phones

-awl

• 4.  RE: Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?

Posted Jan 06, 2012 07:49 AM

Thanks for the swift reply guys. 

Do aruba publish any stats on what SNR would be required for what data rate? (And for that matter, RSSI  to SNR / receive sensitivity values).. This would help to take some of the guess work out of this approach.

We use lots of blackberrys (berries? :) so I will need to do some testing if I look at the disabling data rate approach.

• 5.  RE: Turning off slow data rates... incompatible kit?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 08:16 AM

Elijay,

I do not know if those numbers for 802.11n are published anywhere (you are running 802.11n ?).  The Aruba 802.11n Networks Validated Reference Design on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ does tell you how to configure local probe threshold and a few other things about deployment that you might be interested in, however.