Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Two 650 Controllers licensing

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Two 650 Controllers licensing

Posted Jun 12, 2015 05:38 PM

Hey there all, I'm looking at putting two 650 controllers on the same network (right now they are masters on two different networks) and am wondering how the licensing works. I have 16AP licenses for each controller and thus would like to be able to use up to 32 AP's on this network (until I can get the budgeting to replace the controllers with a newer, higher capacity one or go instant). Can I put them in a master\local arrangement and get that capacity (by putting all 32AP licenses on the master even though each 650 can only handle 16) or do I need to find a way to go with two masters? Any info would be helpful.

thanks

Steve

• 2.  RE: Two 650 Controllers licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2015 05:41 PM
    Yes, as long as you're running 6.3+. You can also just leave 16 on each and
    they'll be shared. You won't get much benefit from centralized licensing
    here though because each controller can only handle 16 max.

• 3.  RE: Two 650 Controllers licensing

Posted Jun 12, 2015 05:43 PM

thanks for the quick response.

So, setting them up as master\local and leaving the licensing on each controller will work. Do I then need to force AP's to use a specific controller? Do I need to leave some spare licensing space on the master for when AP's reboot and look for the master?

Steve

• 4.  RE: Two 650 Controllers licensing
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 13, 2015 02:38 AM

Hi Friend,

Solution is as follows,

1. Bring up Master-Local setup 

2. Disable ADP on both the controllers

3. Configure two AP-Groups.

4. AP-Group1 : LMS IP= Master Controller IP, AP-Group2: LMS IP=Local Controller IP

5. Provision APs with Master IP (Master controller IP ) through DHCP or DNS

6. Once all APs terminate on Master, Provision 16 APs with AP-Group1 and remaining 16 APs with AP-Group2

This is the ideal solution for you requirement. Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 5.  RE: Two 650 Controllers licensing

Posted Jun 13, 2015 12:20 PM
    perfect. thanks for the details. Steve