04-04-2013 05:50 AM - edited 04-04-2013 05:51 AM
our controller is running out the number of ap it can support hence we will need to purchase a 2nd controller. Other than increased number of ap it can support is there any other advantages of having 2 controller?
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-04-2013 06:07 AM
It all depends how you will use the 2nd controller and what model you purchase.
Direct advantages are
- Redundancy (Master-Local for example)
- Load balancing of APs between the two controllers
You can read through the following VRD to give you some insight
What are you running with now?
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
04-04-2013 06:13 AM
It really depends on the need of your campus and the amount of APs you are currenlty managing and the future growth , here's some examples :
- To balance APs between the two that way your traffic doens't go to just one controller and also if one fails not every AP will be impacted.
- Also if you need to perform maintenance on one of the controller you could move the APs over to the other one while you make changes
- If you have enough licenses on each controller you can have those serve has active-backup/active-backup
Hopes this helps
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA