Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to run ap-flash command

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Unable to run ap-flash command

Posted Jan 20, 2012 10:44 AM

Hello,

I am trying to update the backup partition on my RAP's prior to a new firmware upgrade, but I keep getting an error message each time I run the apflash ap-name <name of RAP> backup-partition command.  When I run it, it keeps telling me "Invalid Input detected at ^ marker" and it is pointing to the b in backup-partion.  I don't have any spaces in my ap name, but I even tried enclosing it in quotes to see if that would help.

I have a 6000 Mobility Controller running ArubaOS 6.1.2.5.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris 

• 2.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2012 12:20 PM

That commad was removed, and does not exist in ArubaOS 6.x.  It only exists in ArubaOS 5.x.  

• 3.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command

Posted Jan 20, 2012 01:32 PM

Thanks!  Is there any way to upgrade the backup partition in the new OS?

• 4.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2012 01:34 PM

You can try contacting support.  Do you know what version your backup partition is?

• 5.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command

Posted Jan 20, 2012 01:37 PM

I will give support a call.  The new RAPs that I just got in are 5.0.  I had backed up the existing ones prior to the last OS update on my controller and they are at 6.0.1.2.

• 6.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2012 01:41 PM

If the backup partition on your RAPs are 5.0 code, you do not have to apflash them, at all.

5.0 zero touch, or backup partition provides at the Zero Touch Screen:

- Static IP addressing

- 3G support at the Zero Touch Screen

- DSL pppoe support

When an AP contacts a controller the code it downloads from the controller it is contacting takes over and the backup or zero touch partition is never used again, unless you do a factory reset.

The users who MUST do an apflash are ones who have the 3.x-RN code on their Zero Touch partition.  The APs now ship from the factory with 5.x in the Zero Touch Partition.

• 7.  RE: Unable to run ap-flash command

Posted Jan 20, 2012 01:56 PM

As long as I can keep them at 5.0 without an issue, than I will keep them that way.  There are times that I do have to have my users do a factory reset remotely and I just wanted to make sure that if I updated the ArubaOS on the controller, I would not prevent those RAPs from connecting.  Thanks for your help!