Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

Posted May 29, 2014 02:48 AM

Hi, 

I am deploying some AP135's with 6000controller. 

I am trying to understand the purpose of the "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration" in the ap-grpup. 

The requirement is to deploy the APs on a tagged vlan(16), and the edge ports where the APs are being connected will be native to vlan-1. 

I have attached some screenshots for understanding. 

• 2.  RE: Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 07:58 AM

That configuration would be applied to the e0 port of ALL APs that have this profile in the AP-Group.  Note that in your example, you have the "default" profile.  Because this is used in ALL AP Groups, changing e0 could have disasterous results on the network.

I would recommend using the "save as" button and then saving everything to a non-default profile that would only be applied to this AP group

A bigger question remains on why you are required to do this?  With Aruba, we are a pure overlay on the LAN.  You shouldn't need to trunk VLANs to the APs if all user traffic is terminating at the 6000

• 3.  RE: Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

Posted Jun 04, 2014 04:43 AM

Hi Seth, 

I just wanted to show as a example. This is lab setup. 

let me say i have a bridge ssid with vlan 20, in the VAP.  

The AP is connected to a port which is native to vlan 1 and trunk vlan 20. Should i config the e0 port, as "wired ap enable" and configure the port as trunk and native vlan1, and trunk vlan 20? 

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2014 04:54 AM

YogenPartha,

Leave that profile alone.  As long as you have a VAP that is  configured with a forwarding mode of bridged with a VLAN that does not equal1 it will send the tagged traffic from that VAP to the enet0 port tagged with that VLAN, without you modifying anything.

• 5.  RE: Understanding "Ethernet interface 0 port configuration"

Posted Jun 04, 2014 05:00 AM

Hi Colin, 

Thank you for help.