Wireless Access

Contributor I

Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

I have a previously used but currently unprovisioned AP135 that won't work. I'm at the stage of declaring it dead but it's a bit weird, quite close to working too.... 

So it boots, gets an IP, resolves the name of our aruba-master all fine. It then never manages to communicate with the controller so reboots after a few minutes.

The controller logs the following message: 

<WARN> |stm| AP type AP-135 serial AX0453884 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Radio 1 BSSID is all 0s

I've done as many different variations of a hard reset as I can find, pressing the button, factory-reset, purge... no change. 

I've tried setting a variable to point the AP at a different controller. No dice. Any ideas before it gets an RMA?

Valued Contributor II

Re: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Hi,

Can you provide the following information,

1. What is the master discovery method used ? is ADP is disabled in all the controllers ?

2. What image version is installed in the controller ?

3. Is CPSecis enabled in the controller ?

4. Are you able to ping AP from the controller ? if yes can you see any traffic from that IP in the "show datapath session"

Please share the above we can fix the issue.

Cheers,
Venu Puduchery,
[Is my post helped you ? Give Kudos :) ]
Contributor I

Hi, Thanks for jumping in...

Discovery method is DNS. ADP is disabled.

We're using ArubaOS 6.4.2.4

CPsec is not enabled

I can ping the AP from the controller and yes I can see that IP show datapath session

I should add that I can grab another AP, plug it in and it just works. I don't have a problem with APs talking to my controller, using the same cable etc, it's just this particular AP that isn't working.

Valued Contributor II

Hi,

When you say you can see traffic from that IP( AP), what traffic you can see ? UDP 8211 (PAPI) ?

when you use "show ap database" what is the status ? denied ? if the status is denied, either disable the CPSec or add the MAC of the AP to the AP-Whitelist.

Please share the above.

Cheers,
Venu Puduchery,
Contributor I

The show AP database command isn't terribly helpful as the formatting is problematic. We have a lot of APs. However this one doesn't show up.

To confirm, CPSec is disabled.

I'm not in a position to check the traffic at the moment. What's interesting is my colleague is certain she's seen this problem before, with the SSIDs being 0.... just can't remember what to do about it.

Valued Contributor II

Hi,

It looks we need to do log level debugging , I advice you to open a case with TAC.

Cheers,
Venu Puduchery,
MVP

What AOS version do you have installed ?

What controller are you using ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Contributor I

Hey folks, please read the thread before asking questions... The answer may already be there ;)

Anyway, it's the latest Aruba OS. Controller is a 7240
Interestingly I just tried again and it worked! There's something odd going on. I'm going to factory reset again and see what happens. Pretty clear this is a bad/failing AP.
Guru Elite

Ultimate_Fish,

We do not have enough information to understand what is wrong.  You should really open a TAC case.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

I've been going through our collection of broken stuff and have found another AP135 that displays the same issue... 

So I can tell you it's UDP 8211 that's in the show datapath session on the controller.

I've opened a TAC case... But given how many APs we have and that nobody else has reported this problem on their network I still suspect I have a broken AP and (probably) one that's unreliable.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: