Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:13 AM

Hi,

I have read a few things on the forum and wanted to clarify something please.

We have a master-standby solution with VRRP configured currently.  Pre-emption is not enabled as we want to minimise downtime in the event of a failure to the master controller and then it coming back online again we don't want to seperate downtime windows.

I want to upgrade the controllers firmware and I have a period of 30 minutes downtime.  Can I hit upgrade button on the master first and then the backup controller a couple of seconds after?  Will the master then come up first and take back ownership of all of the APs?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:26 AM

Hi;

From experience it seems like a small window of work. If you do it as you say, you should start the master first and then the stanby. Also I to tell that the access points must be updated when connecting to the controller.

I would recommend not doing everything at once and perform the update step by step, to avoid failures.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:31 AM

Hi

I can do it device at a time however, what is the preferred method? 

I can load the firmware to the controllers first and then reboot myself?

Or

I can first do the master and on reboot it will take back the APS upgrade the firmware and then i can do the standby?

There are many options so I am not sure which is best?

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:49 AM

Hi;

I always update the master first. In this case the access points go to the standby controller. (they do not update when being in the same version).

The second step updated the standby controller if the master starts correctly. The access points pass to the master and are updated. The stanby controller will be updated and all ready with the new version.

Regards.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade Controller Firmware Master-Standby Setup

Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:28 AM

This is how I will do it:

1. Pre-load controllers with new version of code.
    1. Run ap image-preload on active-master.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-AP-Image-Preload-and-how-it-works-in-Aruba-OS/ta-p/181656

1. Enter vrrp number/shutdown. wr mem. Check backup-master: show ap active, show ap database. Reboot backup-maser.  Check VRRP. wr mem
    2. Bring VRRP back up on 3600-A active-master. Show VRRP.
    3. Shutdown VRRP on 3600-B backup-master( vrrp number/shutdown) to failover APs back to active.
    4. Show VRRP. show ap active, show ap database on 3600-A active-master.
    5. Run ap image-preload on backup-master.
    6. Reboot 3600-B backup-master to load new code version
    7. . Bring VRRP back up on backup-master and test failover again.