Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:30 PM

I followed the release notes upgrade path, and decided to run the upgrade on the second partition so a revert would be easy if I ran into trouble.

After upgrading and reloading, I had no connectivity other than via serial. The controller couldn't see the next hop switch, or basically anything. I grabbed the running on the old and new, and as I was comparing, I noticed that it looks like the upgrade "massaged" out characters in my running config, and I'm wondering if this caused the issues.

For example, here's a few lines from various parts of the configs:

6.1 config:

netservice svc-ssh tcp 22

netservice svc-icmp 1

netservice svc-http-proxy1 tcp 3128

aaa authentication-server radius "NPS"

6.3 config:

netservice svc-ssh tcp 2

netservice svc-icmp 

netservice svc-http-proxy1 tcp 312

aaa authentication-server radius "NPS

Basically, it appears to have dropped randomly the last digit/quotation/whatever. I've reverted back to the old boot partition to keep me running, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues.

Again, after the upgrade, my controller no longer has its management IP (though from what I could see, it didn't change anything between the versions on that part) and can no longer ping the next hop router. I'm wondering if an unclosed quote somewhere might be hijacking the entire config...?

• 2.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:47 PM

What controller are you using ?

• 3.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:48 PM

Oops, thought I included that. Aruba6000.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:52 PM

I recently did that same upgrade on an M3 controller and didn't experience any issues.

what happens if you upgrade the active partition ? it should work either way

how did you upgrade ? using CLI or GUI ?

• 5.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:54 PM

I did the GUI, was thinking about trying CLI to verify that it copied properly.

I didn't want to upgrade the active, just in case something went wrong (as it did) so I didn't have to spend much time reverting.

We're a public library, and people get cranky without their free wifi (hah).

• 6.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 01:49 PM

Try doing it from the CLI on the non-active partition (is that 6.1.3.6 ?) , delete any unused files from flash 

• 7.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 02:40 PM

Did you open up a case?  Although the CLI suggestion may work, reporting this to support for visibility is also important and may or may not be a known issue already.

• 8.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Aug 18, 2014 03:29 PM

I have not opened up a case yet--I wanted to try to feel out whether the community had seen anything like this first.

I'll try the upgrade via CLI tomorrow morning before opening, and if I run across the same issue I'll open up a case with the TAC.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2014 12:27 PM

I tried again via the CLI-got a message that the image was not for the platform. As this is the image that was given to me by support, I'm confused. I'll open a case since this appears to be a larger issue than originally thought.

• 10.  RE: Upgrade issue from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.9

Posted Sep 04, 2014 11:25 AM

Not that it helps you, but I just finished upgrading controllers (620 and 3600)  from 6.1.3.10 to 6.3.1.9 without any issues.