Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading AP firmware

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Upgrading AP firmware

Posted Jun 29, 2015 09:55 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Currently i am doing a setup with controller 7010 and AP 225. DHCP works perfectly fine when i connect it to my computer.

However the AP keeps going "up & down". When it goes up, i tried to provision but this error msg pops up (please view attachment) it states "Error programming AP [provision-ap reprovision ap- name "ap mac address"]: Can not reprovision AP with older image until it upgrades."

Despite upgrading controller firmware to 6.4.2.8 the above mention symptoms still persist.

Would like to seek help on how to upgrade AP firmware manually or any other ways to solve this issue.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Upgrading AP firmware

Posted Jun 29, 2015 10:59 AM

HI,

What is the flag showing in AP database ( shoe ap database ) ? is it able to broadcast default SSID ?

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading AP firmware

Posted Jun 29, 2015 11:49 AM

Hi Venu,

Thanks for helping, this is the ouput of show ap database

Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 11.46.55 pm.png

• 4.  RE: Upgrading AP firmware

Posted Jun 29, 2015 01:01 PM

HI,

As a work around , enable ap-debug and see what is happening, also see what traffic it is sending to controller ( show datapath session | include <AP IP address> )

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading AP firmware

Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:16 AM

Hi!

It feels like you might have some necessary ports blocked between the AP and the controller or perhaps a routing issue. Does the controller have an IP interface on the same VLAN as the APs or are they being routed?

This is copied from the 6.4 user guide:

Configure the following ports to enable communication between an AP and the controller:
    l PAPI (UDP port 8211). If the AP uses DNS to discover the LMS controller, the AP first attempts to connect to the master controller. (Also allow DNS (UDP port 53) traffic from the AP to the DNS server.)
    l PAPI (UDP port 8211). All APs running as Air Monitors (AMs) require a permanent PAPI connection to the master controller.
    l FTP (TCP port 21).
    627 | External Firewall Configuration ArubaOS 6.4.x | User Guide
    l TFTP (UDP port 69) all APs, if there is no local image on the AP (for example, a new AP) the AP will use TFTP to retrieve the initial image.
    l SYSLOG (UDP port 514).
    l PAPI (UDP port 8211).
    l GRE (protocol 47).

Cheers,