Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Users experience significant delay when opening files (250 kb pdf) from file server

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Users experience significant delay when opening files (250 kb pdf) from file server

Posted Feb 04, 2015 06:09 PM

We have a VAP that is configured to tunnel to VLAN122 on our controller.  Users can authenticate and are assigned the authenticated role (with allow all).

While connected to this VAP, users are able to access external and WAN resources without issue.  If they attempt to browse local fileservers (different vlan) they are able to browse the directory but it is sluggish.  If the user opens a small 250 kb pdf file it takes about 1-2 minutes and often causes the application to hang.

I mapped a port on the controller as an access port on vlan122 and have no problems accessing the server or files.

I reviewed the datapath session table for the specific user (during troubleshooting) and do not see any Deny flags.  I have also verified that this is not RF related.  I have looked at MTU size and reviewed the configuration repeatedly but cannot find any errors.

• 2.  RE: Users experience significant delay when opening files (250 kb pdf) from file server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 07:05 PM

What is the response when the user attempt to ping that server?  When you say it is not RF related, how did you determine that?

• 3.  RE: Users experience significant delay when opening files (250 kb pdf) from file server

Posted Feb 04, 2015 07:19 PM

User is saying 2 ms ICMP response times to the server..  they can access the internet with no delays or issues.

We assumed it was not RF related as there are no issues when connected to an adjacent VAP (guest network w/VPN) and this symptom is occuring throughout the building on multiple floors..  we did not notice any noise, duty cycle or interference issues and the client has a good SNR.

I am having the user disable antivirus and other applications on the laptop itself and confirming if this symptom is present on other device types.. i.e. Mac vs Windows..

Thanks for your quick response! 

• 4.  RE: Users experience significant delay when opening files (250 kb pdf) from file server

Posted Mar 30, 2015 11:50 AM

.. just to close this out..  the issue ended up being a layer-2 switch issue and was not related to controller configuration.

Thanks again!