Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

Posted May 07, 2015 05:25 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup automated controller backup script to a Linux box. By using user certificate I can create ssh script (can log in from the Linux box to the controller without SSH password). 

The problem is that when trying to send SCP the files from the controller to the Linux box the controller prompts password. Is there any way to get rid of this? 

If this is not possible can use SCP from the Linux box to copy files from the controller?

Many thanks.

• 2.  RE: Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

Posted May 07, 2015 05:32 AM

You could get the Linux box to login via SSH then SCP the files from controller to Linux box.

Cheers

James

EDIT: Soory I re-read your post. Disregard the above! 

• 3.  RE: Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

Posted May 07, 2015 05:39 AM

Yes the idea is to SSH from the Linux box and then run SCP command. The problem is that the controller asks password for SCP.

• 4.  RE: Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2015 06:05 AM

User ID 38,942,

You need to use a scripting language like expect, that can work with interactive prompts.  It is a security issue if someone runs a script and someone can easily see their password on the screen.  Solarwinds network configuration manager that runs on Windows also allows scripts to run with interactive prompts (not advertising it, but if you can get a demo, you can see for yourself).

• 5.  RE: Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

Posted May 07, 2015 08:13 AM

Ok thanks. I wonder why Aruba hasn't included automated backup function for their controller. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would require this.

At least they should allow SCP with PKI system.

• 6.  RE: Using SCP to transfer files from a controller WITHOUT password prompt?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2015 08:15 AM
    AirWave automatically backs up the config every night.

Thanks,
    Tim