Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

Posted Oct 14, 2016 06:00 PM

Can I simply use a backup from my US controller to "clone" a controller by using it as a restore on a controller for Mexico?  Is the original country code retained through the restore process, or not touched?  If not, anyone have a workaround for this?

• 2.  RE: Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2016 09:06 AM

The easiest way to do this is to make the Mexico controller a local to the US controller and then making the Mexico controller a master.  Restoring one controller onto another would require some surgery like pasting in licenses before the reboot.  The country code will decide whether or not the controller can even support a non-ROW country code in the default profile, but I cannot say this is even tested or tried often.

The preferred way is to make the Mexico controller a local to the US controller and then a master; that will sidestep a good deal of the issues from a restore.

• 3.  RE: Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

Posted Oct 15, 2016 01:40 PM

Thanks Colin,

I will give that a try.  Just to be clear, here's the process as I understand it.

1> Put the Mexico controller on the same version as the US controller

2> Add licenses to the Mexico contoller

3> Add the Mexico controller as a local to the US controller

4> Break connectivity between controllers

5> Change role on Mexico controller from local to master

I'll be sure to update this thread with details.

• 4.  RE: Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2016 02:25 PM

Yes.

You do not have to break the connection between the mexico controller and the master; you only have to change the mexico controller to a master after it successfully becomes a local controller.

• 5.  RE: Using US controller backup and restoring on Mexico controller

Posted Oct 28, 2016 11:56 AM

Just following up on this post.  I was able to restore the RW controller from a backup of a US controller.  After bringing up the RW controller, I just needed to edit the default AP regulatory domain profile to change the country code in order to terminate the APs with the correct channels.  The restore saves having to enter that local configuration.  As always, be sure enter the license keys in after the restore and before the reload. 

Thanks,