Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using the packet-capture command

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Using the packet-capture command

Posted Jul 02, 2014 02:29 PM

I'm looking to capture the unencrypted traffic from a client.  I can't use a SPAN at the moment, so it looks like the packet-capture command is my only option.  I've used this command in the past for tiny packet captures and it worked just fine.  However, I need to perform a packet capture that will last a few minutes and I'm not sure how big it will end up being.  I'm left with the following questions:

1) When using the destination local-filesystem syntax, what happens if the packet capture fills gets too large and fills up flash?  Do I run the risk of causing issues for connected APs and clients?

2) If I want to avoid filling up flash and use the destination ip-address syntax instead, how does this work?   Does this work the same as ap packet-capture and the Wireshark Aruba decode must be used?  I tried using OmniPeek and the Aruba Adapter but never saw traffic.

• 2.  RE: Using the packet-capture command

Posted Jul 02, 2014 06:15 PM

• 3.  RE: Using the packet-capture command
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2014 06:20 PM
    I use the destination-ip option regularly with Wireshark and the standard Aruba ERM filter.

• 4.  RE: Using the packet-capture command

Posted Jul 03, 2014 02:01 PM

Thanks for the info.  After testing with with the ERM filter on I wasn't seeing the unencrypted client traffic.  I tried again with no filters and started seeing the unencrypted user traffic.  The unencrypted traffic is sent via GRE which explains why the ERM filter wasn't catching the packets.