Wireless Access

MVP

VHT Not Operational - Sanity Check

I enabled VHT on a set of AP-225s using AP specific configs, yet my 11ac clients are associated a-HT mode.  I verified that VHT is checked in the radio profile and in the HT SSID profile.  Here are the outputs to confirm the radio is running int VHT:

(controller) #show ap active | include AP01
AP01 XXXXXX X.X.X.190 0 AP:HT:6/12/21 8 AP:VHT:165/15/22 225 A2da 64d:11h:19m:50s N/A

(controller) #show ap bss-table | include AP01
6c:f3:7f:XX:XX:XX TEST-SSID N/A X.X.X.190 a-VHT ap 165/15/22 8 AP01 0 23d:6h:49m:24s 1500 - 2 T

I also did a packet captured and verified that the VHT field is not being advertised in the beacons.

I need a sanity check... what am I missing?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: VHT Not Operational - Sanity Check

I would try disconnecting a client and letting it attach back.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

This has been over the course of a few days, so clients have disconnected/reconnected multiple times.  The fact that the VHT field is not being advertised in the beacons tells me VHT mode is not actually enabled.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

When you do a show ap association, for the clients under test, what do you see?\

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Mobility-Hero-Tutorials/ArubaOS-6-3-and-Above-802-11ac-Enable-VHT-even-if-you-are/ta-p/145689

Might have TAC take a look at firmware, config, and pcap to see why the VHT isn't advertising in the beacons.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Guru Elite

What version of ArubaOS is this? There is a bug where that could happen.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Jay

is your AP deliberately being forced to ch165 for some reason (or has arm spazzed out) ? that is not part of the 80 Mhz plan, which is 149-161.. check for rogue ap-name and rf dot11a profile

regards

-jeff

MVP

Jeff,

Yes, I added 165 to the regulatory domain. We're using 20mhz channels.

I did have other APs on different channels not running in VHT.

Colin,

I can open a TAC case if you believe it's a bug.

ahhh.. duh.... my miswording - can you try changing it out of 165 ? the point I was more thinking (but not saying) was that 165 is not commonly used where "defaults and VHT are used" and it might be a glitch for non 40/80 mhz channel.

but, having said that, just to try it - forced 165 + ap205 + 7260 works ok (6.4.3)

ap205  ac:a3:1e:b7:df:30  5c:c5:d4:7c:a3:44  y     y      1    250    v1-7030-psk  1        0x1001b    a-VHT-20sgi-2ss  10s          1          WAB    0/0

strange one, if it starts working on channel change it will definitely be useful info for a ticket.

regards

-jeff

MVP

Colin,

Jeff,

Now this is interesting... I have two SSIDs on 5GHz.  One is advertising VHT in beacons, the other is not.  Both share the same HT SSID w/ VHT enabled.  I checked the AP on channel 165 and the VHT field is there for the 'secondary' SSID.

This seems like a bug to me.

MVP

[ Edited ]

TAC case open.  Sanity check cleared. :)  The engineer is trying to reproduce the issue in his lab.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: