Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA with certificates

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  VIA with certificates

Posted Jun 16, 2014 11:15 AM

Hi

If I want to use VIA with certificates what kind of certificates I'll need on the client and server side? Am I need certificates with a specific purpose?

Thank you in advance

Zsolt

• 2.  RE: VIA with certificates

Posted Jun 16, 2014 12:03 PM

The Via technote should help: http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/VIAAppNote_2012-06-11.pdf

You will at least need a serer certificate on your controller which Via is terminating on, that your clients trust. For example if you have a DNS name of via.domain.com which points to your controller you would need a certificate which includes that DNS name on your controller.

You can perform user authentication using certificates or user/password credentials in Via. 

From the technote above:

The IKEv2 authentication methods that are supported for VIA clients on ArubaOS are these:
     User authentication with X.509 certificates
    ---------- The VIA client authenticates the controller certificate.
    ----------  The controller authenticates the user certificate. No EAP methods are involved.Aruba Networks, Inc. VPN Server Configuration for VIA

 User authentication with EAP-TLS
    ---------- The VIA client authenticates the controller certificate.
    ---------- The controller authenticates the user certificate using EAP-TLS over IKEv2. The controller just acts as an EAP pass-through to an external EAP-compliant server. EAP termination on the controller is not supported for VIA clients.

 User authentication with EAP-PEAP
    ---------- The VIA client authenticates the controller certificate.
    ---------- The controller validates the user credentials (username and password) with an external server. The controller just acts as an EAP pass-through to an external EAP-compliant server. EAP termination is not supported for VIA clients, so the internal database of the controller cannot be used to validate user credentials

EAP-TLS and EAP-MSCHAPv2 are supported for IKEv2. However, EAP termination and other EAP types are not supported for IKEv2.

Cheers

James

• 3.  RE: VIA with certificates

Posted Jun 18, 2014 08:38 AM

Figured out that on the controller I need Server authentication (EKU: 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1), on the client side I need Client authentication (EKU: 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2)... and client side certificate will not work without the private key :). (Something easy to overlook.)

Interestingly certificates what working fine on Windows, doesn't work on Android. Im getting "ArubaVia: com.aruba.via.keystore.ViaCertStorageException: Encoding is not supported by this key." error messages.

I would appreciate any idea about how can I get VIA working on Android.

Thanks

Zsolt

• 4.  RE: VIA with certificates
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2014 09:04 AM

You need to create the certificate private key and then put it into a PFX file, and out it on the Android phone.  Then, inside VIA there is an option to “import certificate” including CA cert. Once the cert is imported it will work