Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN Mobility Question...

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VLAN Mobility Question...

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:22 AM

I have recently expanded our WiFi network and added several more controllers. In doing so I have one group of buildings being on one controller and another group of buildings and another controller. I am having an issue with some users that when they leave building group A and go to building group B (thus moving to different controller) they cannot reconnect. Is this a case where I need to enable VLAN Mobility in my AP groups?

Thanks for any assistance!

• 2.  RE: VLAN Mobility Question...
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:42 AM

Are the users being placed on the same VLAN regardless of which controller they are connected to? If so you should be ok but the user will need to re-authenticate (user-table is not replicated between controllers).

If not then you need to enable IP mobility (L3) in order for the clients to be routed back to their home controller.

• 3.  RE: VLAN Mobility Question...

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:58 AM

Well its weird, when the user leaves bldg grp A and gets to bldg grp B (different controller AND yes different VLAN too) they cannot connect to the signal or they connect and get the "no internet" error...

So you think IP Mobility would solve this?

• 4.  RE: VLAN Mobility Question...

Posted Aug 21, 2013 12:13 PM

Are they roaming between buildings or disconnecting and then reconnecting?

If roaming then you may need IP mobility but either way this is unrelated if you cannot even connect to the SSID.