Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN Pooling

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  VLAN Pooling

Posted Jan 25, 2012 10:31 PM

I have a single VAP/SSID which has thousands of users. I assume, I should use a VLAN pool even for a single VAP given the large size. I assume that I would also create a DHCP address pool for each VLAN in the VLAN pool. Each DHCP size is /24 but the sum of all the DHCP address pools is thousands in my case.

If I only use one VLAN with lots of addresses then I only need to create one DHCP and configure one gateway (which is off the controller). If I use a VLAN pool (each with a DHCP address pool) then I need to create a DHCP and configure a separate gateway for each VLAN in the pool. Is this correct? 

Thank-you.

BTW, I deeply appreciate the amazingly quick responsiveness of this forum.

• 2.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2012 06:22 AM

@MortKaye wrote:

I have a single VAP/SSID which has thousands of users. I assume, I should use a VLAN pool even for a single VAP given the large size. I assume that I would also create a DHCP address pool for each VLAN in the VLAN pool. Each DHCP size is /24 but the sum of all the DHCP address pools is thousands in my case.

If I only use one VLAN with lots of addresses then I only need to create one DHCP and configure one gateway (which is off the controller). If I use a VLAN pool (each with a DHCP address pool) then I need to create a DHCP and configure a separate gateway for each VLAN in the pool. Is this correct? 

Thank-you.

BTW, I deeply appreciate the amazingly quick responsiveness of this forum.

You are correct on both.

If you can please download and read Chapter 4 of the Aruba Campus Wireless Networks Validated Reference Design (Version 8) on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/

It explains VLAN pooling in detail.

• 3.  RE: VLAN Pooling

Posted Jan 26, 2012 07:27 AM

The VRD documentation discusses VLAN pooling across multiple VAP/SSIDs.  The value in this case is clear.

In my case, I am considering VLAN pools for a single VAP/SSID with a very large number of clients.  Is the value here to manage broadcasts (ie ARP broadcasts)?  I wouldn't think so because the Mobility Controller always maintains MAC and IP address information for all associated clients so ARP broadcasts are not necessary.  I would appreciate your help to understand if VLAN pools are equally valuable for a single, large VAP/SSID and what that value would be.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2012 07:28 AM

@MortKaye wrote:

The VRD documentation discusses VLAN pooling across multiple VAP/SSIDs.  The value in this case is clear.

In my case, I am considering VLAN pools for a single VAP/SSID with a very large number of clients.  Is the value here to manage broadcasts (ie ARP broadcasts)?  I wouldn't think so because the Mobility Controller always maintains MAC and IP address information for all associated clients so ARP broadcasts are not necessary.  I would appreciate your help to understand if VLAN pools are equally valuable for a single, large VAP/SSID and what that value would be.

Thanks.

It will certainly work for a single VAP and it is equally valuable.

• 5.  RE: VLAN Pooling

Posted Jan 26, 2012 01:32 PM

Indeed, I have since been able to identify some clear values for VLAN pooling with my scenario and I will be using it.

Thank-you.

• 6.  RE: VLAN Pooling

Posted Oct 11, 2013 09:03 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add information to it in case someone else is looking for details on pooling.

The VRD mentioned in this thread is an excellent resource, and should be reviewed prior to doing the pooling.

With the hash assignment option (the default for pools), a client will retain the IP address and vlan they are initially assigned. This is important where your clients connect to specific services that require, or work better, when they keep the same address.

With the even assignment option, clients may get different IP addresses as they move from AP to AP. This can be made to work like the hash option by setting the "Preserve Client VLAN" option in the VAP.

We had a problem where our Pool was not honoring the hash option, and the fix was to recreate the pool and reassign it to the VAP's.

• 7.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 08:37 AM

Can anyone help me with the solution for multiple vlans mapping with single SSID. Not getting right document to explore. I am new Aruba CPPM and Controller.

I have Single SSID which is centrally confiogured and multiple location will be going to use same SSID. We have 7210 COntroller and CPPM server which are centrally located and wusing IAP 205 acroos 5 geographical locations. SSID is in bridge mode. How i can meet the requreiment.

• 8.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 09:56 AM

What requirement are you trying to meet?

• 9.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 10:04 AM
    Thank you Gave for your reply.
    I have single ssid centrally configured and ve 5 different locations and will be using same said from all 5 locations. Have different subnet and dhcp server hosted locally for each location. This ssid configured as a bridge mode and authentication type is 802. 1x eaptls. How I can achieve this?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

• 10.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 10:06 AM

Have you set up the first location?

• 11.  RE: VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 10:12 AM
    Yes. I have setup central location. 802. 1x is working with on guard service.
    Now I want to understand how 4 locations are going to be deployed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.