Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

VOIP roaming over Wlan with an Android phone

I work for a wireless network company. We are installing facilities with more than 50 or 100 ap.

We need to find an Android phone or an Andoid software /setting who can do a good fast roaming for voip in a wlan environement with many AP.

Someone can help me ?

Contributor II

Re: VOIP roaming over Wlan with an Android phone

You need a phone that supports 802.11r.

Solutions Engineer
CWNA-CWDP-ACMP-ACCP

It's not only that. Some phones do the roaming better then other ones..
Guru Elite

If this is mission critical voice, you should consider using VoWiFi phones.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

We already use wlan ip phone with aruba infrastrcture. But the future market is with the smartphones.
JCO
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm also working for a telecommunications company located in Belgium. Most of our customers are small companies. Usually with 10 - 15 AP, we have enough AP to cover the customer site. That's why, we often work with Aruba IAP 105 which include a virtual controller.

Yesterday, I have set up 12 Aruba IAP 105 at one of our customer site. I have created a Voice WLAN which works in the 5Ghz band of frequency. It works fine when I try to call with an Android phone. Unfortunately, when I start to move and when the Android phone must roam, I lose the communication because the android phone need about two seconds to register to the next AP.

I'm almost sure that the problem comes from the phones but I would ask you if there are some parameters I can modify to speed up the roaming time? Is there an other parameter than "802.11r" that affects the roaming?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Guru Elite

Do you have ClientMatch enabled?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
JCO
New Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your fast response !

I didn't know ClientMatch technology before your post. Thanks to you, I have just read an article about that technology. I think, it can help me. I will make some tests next week to see if it works better. Is there a particular configuration for ClientMatch (CM calculating interval, CM neighbor matching%, CM threshold)? Or the default configuration should work well?

Do you have any other advice?

I will also take a VoWLAN Phone (Unify OpenStage WL3) to test if I have the same roaming problem than with the Android phones.

Thank you very much

First of all clientmatch don't work of you use sip. We tried it and we saw that our network was spammed by clienatch retry. Clientmatch can be a solution but never in the voip over wlan. First of all with it you can't have a real roaming, the conversation will cut until you fine a better antenna. The biggest problem is that must of android phones aren't made ro roam on wlan but to stay sticky on one ap

Envoyé de mon iPhone
JCO
New Contributor

Have you done any tests with your iPhone? Does your iPhone manage roaming better on the same installation?

Thanks for your point of view.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: