Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VRRP Drops/Hangs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VRRP Drops/Hangs

Posted Jan 12, 2012 01:53 PM

Or master-standby VRRP instance has been behaving strangely over the past few days. The WebUI hangs and is very slow or drops off completely but we can still ping the VRRP address.  Our local-local VRRP instance has no problems what-so-ever, it's only the master-standby VRRP that is causing problems.  We are running ArubaOS 6.1.2.5.  Here's the VRRP config.

CONTROLLER 1

master-redundancy
    master-vrrp 3
    peer-ip-address 172.30.121.2 ipsec xxxxxxxx
    !
    vrrp 3
    priority 110
    authentication test
    ip address 172.30.121.3
    description "master-vrrp"
    vlan 602
    no shutdown
    !

CONTROLLER 2

master-redundancy
    master-vrrp 3
    peer-ip-address 172.30.121.1 ipsec dec42f1920fa22de0d2554145b6c7bd8
    !
    vrrp 3
    authentication test
    ip address 172.30.121.3
    description "master-vrrp"
    vlan 602
    no shutdown
    !

No matter what I do on CONTROLLER 2, the priority of 100 does not show up anywhere other than in the WebUI.  Is that normal behavior?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 2.  RE: VRRP Drops/Hangs

Posted Jan 12, 2012 02:41 PM

Haven't seen this issue before, but couple of thoughts:

- Try removing vrrp authentication and see if that helps

- Are any of your ports set to "no trust" or "untrusted" on the controllers?  This will cause a problem, check with "show port status"

- priority 100 is default and default commands/variables do not show up in config.  I have seen it recommended to not use defaults for vrrp so try and set controller 2 to priority of 105

- Anything else on that subnet using vrrp, especially instance 3?

- Any port errors?

Regards, 

Austin

• 3.  RE: VRRP Drops/Hangs

Posted Jan 12, 2012 02:52 PM

On my stack running 6.1.2.5

Master/Failover  M3

vrrp 10
      ip address xx.xx.xxx.1
      vlan 888

preempt delay 0
      no shutdown

Local   M3

vrrp 10
      priority 110
      ip address xx.xx.xxx.1
      vlan 888

no shutdown

I dont have authentication enabled and see no problems so far. Lots of other bugs in 6.1.2.5 but not this one yet.

• 4.  RE: VRRP Drops/Hangs

Posted Feb 20, 2012 12:12 PM

We had to take CONTROLLER 1 offline for the time being.  Unfortunately, we cannot do all of the troubleshooting that we would like to do because classes are in session, so taking one of the controllers offline was the easy fix.  

We did find that on CONTROLLER 2 the trunk native vlan was not set on one end of the trunk.  We won't know if this was the problem until Spring Break when the students are gone to test to see if that was indeed the problem.