Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VRRP swtiches connection question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VRRP swtiches connection question

Posted Jul 27, 2014 11:47 AM

Hello i was wondering what would be the best practice for this? for master/backup model

I normally or all the VRRP i have done are connected to a SWCORE which has multiple modules and normally  i connect from one WC to one of the modules of the SW core and i connect from one WC to another module of the switch core, so this way i t doesnt matter if one module fails they will still have access... the whole CORE switch Chassis has to fail in order to not have conectivity

Now let say they dont have a Chassis or anything

And let say the client  has 2 different distribution switches ( those switche are not stacked or anything) they are just two swtiches  in which both connect separetally to the core switch.  The idea is that if one of the switches fail they still have connectivity.   If i connect both to the same switch if the switch fails, then no wifi, niether from the master neither from the backup wireless connectroller

As far i understand the VRRP just need to have L2 connectivity so i bealive i can connect one WC to one of the distritubion switch and the other WC to the other distribution switch and it should work with no issue(it doesnt matter if they are on stand alone)

I did read the VRD of redundancy but didnt find anything related to this quetions.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: VRRP swtiches connection question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2014 11:50 AM
    Why not turn up OSPF?

• 3.  RE: VRRP swtiches connection question

Posted Jul 27, 2014 12:09 PM

Hello Tim

Can you explain me more? guess im not just looking the big picture you have in mind.

Both Switches will be on the same datacenter, same place, same rack. I will be using the same vlans and all.  Why do i need OSPF?

Its something really simple as this, will have like the WCs will be on the same vlan, and both Dist sw1 and Dist Sw2 will have the wfi vlans tagged to them and they will tag them to the WCs.

modle.png

Normally i would connect it to a stacked swtich or a Chassis with multiple modules, but this might not be the case thise time.

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: VRRP swtiches connection question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2014 12:12 PM
    Ah nevermind. Didn't realize you were sharing IP space between them.