Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller IP

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 10, 2017 03:29 PM

Hi guys,

I am new in Instant technology. I have to implement a cluster of 15 IAPs in customer site. I am testing in a demo lab, where I have a cluster of 2 IAPs. The master IAP has IP 192.168.1.95 and I realized the VC IP is 0.0.0.0.

VC.PNG

What's that mean? Do I have to configure an IP for the VC? If the master IAP has the role of VC, the VC IP is not the same as the master IAP IP? What are the advantages? I should know this before installing the IAPs at customer site, which will be in a couple of days. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 03:33 PM

Yes, you do need to configure a Virtual Controller IP to use a single IP for management. The "Master AP" is simply the AP in the cluster which has elected itself to "hold" the Virtual Controllers IP address. If the current master AP is disconnected or powered down, another AP will elect its self as the master AP and the Virtual Controller IP will move to the latest elected master AP.

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 10, 2017 03:51 PM

Hi zailon0,

Thanks for your fast reply. But what are the advantages? Because in my lab the VC IP  is 0.0.0.0, so I think the VC has no IP address, but the cluster is working properly. And if the master IAP goes down, another IAP will be elected as the master and hold the VC with no IP address and will work properly as well.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller IP
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 03:56 PM

It gives you a single IP address for management of the IAP cluster. For example, if you have 200 AP's and are using a RADIUS server, do you want to add each of the 200 AP's as a network devices or just the single IP address of the virtual controller? Or if you have an account used by receptionist to create guest accounts, are you going to ask them to logon to each AP to work out the master AP, then log in to the master AP and create a guest account? Just give them the Virtual Controller IP and they will always logon to the elected AP.

In short it provides a single IP address for management functions :)

• 5.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:14 PM

Hi zailon0,

Imagine I configure IP 192.168.1.100 for the VC and the master IAP goes down, a new master IAP will be elected and will hold the new VC, this new VC will maintain IP 192.168.1.100?

On the other hand, I have tried to log in to a slave IAP in my cluster by https, 192.168.1.139 in my case, and the browser is redirected to the master IAP, 192.168.1.95. When you said before "to logon to each AP", did you mean by https?

Regards,

Julián 

• 6.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:21 PM

Correct, the Virtual Controller IP will move between AP's in the event of a failure. 

Yes, that was an example. Imagine if .95 goes down, this will re-direct to the next elected IAP and so on. Say for example you have a DNS record to make it easier to https to the master to create a guest account. The DNS record is pointing to .95 and .95 goes down. You would need to change your DNS record everytime a different AP is elected as master.

You could just use a Virtual Controller and point the DNS record at this.It is easier and simplier to have a single IP address (Virtual Controller) for management. 

• 7.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:33 PM

Now it is clear :)

What about the other question?

On the other hand, I have tried to log in to a slave IAP in my cluster by https, 192.168.1.139 in my case, and the browser is redirected to the master IAP, 192.168.1.95. When you said before "to logon to each AP", did you mean by https? Because in my case is always redirected to the master IAP.

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:35 PM

Or via SSH :) There will be no re-direct there unless you use the Virtual Controllers IP address.

• 9.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:49 PM

Hi zailon0,

I have just tested the SSH option and re-direction with VC IP and you are right. Then I will configure VC IP in a couple of days when I implement the cluster in customer site. Thanks very much!

Regards,

Julián

• 10.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:52 PM
    Awesome! Good Luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 04:52 PM
    Awesome! Good Luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 08:41 PM

@fjulianom@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi zailon0,

I have just tested the SSH option and re-direction with VC IP and you are right. Then I will configure VC IP in a couple of days when I implement the cluster in customer site. Thanks very much!

Regards,

Julián

Also, you are configuring all of the access points with static ip addresses which is a big pain.  The real strategy is to allow all access points to have DHCP, but configure a VC IP that can always be reached, so that you can always manage your cluster as long as they always are on the same subnet.  This could simplify deployment in the long run as MOST people, even in large deployments do not use static ip addresses...

• 13.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Apr 11, 2017 10:30 AM

Many thanks Colin!

Best regards,

Julián

• 14.  RE: Virtual Controller IP

Posted Jun 28, 2017 06:20 AM

Friends,

I know this is not the forum, however, I need help setting up snmp in the IAP / Virtual Controller, and then monitoring this IAP in some management * Nagius, Cacti, ZABBIX ....), do you have experience to help me?

Or:
    How do I query an IAP 103 managed by Aruba Central (virtual WLC - in the cloud) by ZABBIX? Even with SNMP enabled in the settings, I try to call the snmpwalk through zabbix: snmpwalk -v 2c -c hp-aruba <community name> <AP IP addr> and I have no answers, does anyone know how to consult?
    Our WLC is managed in the cloud, how do I configure the IP address?