Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Visual RF Heat Maps not Working

Hey guys, 

I was wondering if anyone encountered a problem wherein, I already uploaded a floorplan and placed the APs on VisualRF however heatmap or doing a survey does not work. All the clients show up on 1 spot in the map. Even viewing the AP's rf environment does not show on the floorplan.

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: Visual RF Heat Maps not Working

See if there is anything in the logs in System> VisualRF Engine.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

When you left click on an AP or client, are there any errors on their detail pop up?  Is the status reporting 'down'?

If you right click on an AP, is the option showing as 'simulate failure' or 'disable failure simulation'?

If you have command line access, check the VisualRF log for crashes.  Log located at /var/log/visualrf/visualrf.log

We typically see issues with heatmaps if the catalog doesn't contain the devices you're working with.

What version of AMP are you running?  What type of devices / firmware do you have place on your floor plans?

Current version of AirWave available is 7.5.6.

If you're on the latest, it may help to open a support case so that they can take a look at the backend to see if there are any errors.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Occasional Contributor I

When you left click on an AP or client, are there any errors on their detail pop up?  Is the status reporting 'down'?

I get two errors for AP it is "AP error: radio11ng is invalid" for the Clients it is "Signal data from device is invalid. the client has not been located". and status is saying UP.

If you right click on an AP, is the option showing as 'simulate failure' or 'disable failure simulation'?

No, I am not using visualrf plan and not simulating anything.

If you have command line access, check the VisualRF log for crashes.  Log located at /var/log/visualrf/visualrf.log

I was able to access the logs, there are some logs that are significant. Example logs are below.

Logs:

2012-10-30 04:33:07,720 ERROR AirBusMs[1]  com.airwave.model.impl.APConfigProcessorImpl Catalog definition not found for manufacturer[Dell] model[PowerConnect W-AP93]
2012-10-30 04:33:07,720 ERROR AirBusMs[1]  com.airwave.model.impl.APConfigProcessorImpl Catalog definition not found for manufacturer[Dell] model[PowerConnect W-AP93]

2012-10-30 04:35:37,462 WARN  Grid Builder com.airwave.rf.SignalServiceImpl Survey discovering radio not found for [18.1]  at signal[-43]
2012-10-30 04:35:37,462 WARN  Grid Builder com.airwave.rf.SignalServiceImpl Survey discovering radio not found for [12.1]  at signal[-38]

We typically see issues with heatmaps if the catalog doesn't contain the devices you're working with.

What version of AMP are you running?  What type of devices / firmware do you have place on your floor plans?

Current version of AirWave available is 7.5.6.

We are using version AMP 7.4.8

I have a question too, what does the catalog do? how do I add devices into the catalog?

This is what I was suspecting.  The catalog repository maintains all of the values used by VisualRF to calculate location based on device / radio type.  I'm going to spin up an AMP on 7.4 to see what the catalog repository had, but I recall that the AP93 was released post 7.4, so you're quickest solution might be to upgrade to 7.5.6.

Rob Gin

[ Edited ]

Correcting my last reply.  The entry is in 7.5, but not 7.4.  Once you upgrade to 7.5.6, you should be okay.

Rob Gin
Occasional Contributor I

Awesome we are in the process of getting the image file for 7.5.6. Should we get it from Aruba or from Dell since we have a Dell branded AMP instance.

Also, may I ask where or what documentation did you find that AP93 is not in 7.4 and is in 7.5?

Thank you so much for the help

If you're running a Dell branded AMP, you should always go to Dell for the upgrade image.  If you try to use the Aruba image, it will error out.

I didn't look in any documentation, I installed 7.4.8 and 7.5.6 on two AMPs, and then compared their catalog repository files.  Though typically the release notes will say when support for a device was added.  It's worth noting that since Dell renames the type string, support for Dell OEMs sometimes occurs a patch or two after the Aruba patch is made.

Rob Gin
Occasional Contributor I

Awesome thank you!.

I have another issue that I wonder if you can help me with, so my aps that are in Airwave have the error below.

This Device is in monitor-only mode. 

Configuration read from device at 10/30/2012 10:09 AM

Configuration: Error (Too many errors fetching existing configuration)

And from the event logs we see the error below:

Tue Oct 30 10:20:01 2012 System Device Dell PowerConnect XXXX P3SW05 Configuration verification: failed to read configuration from device
Tue Oct 30 10:20:01 2012 System Device Dell PowerConnect XXXX P3SW05 Status changed to 'Error fetching existing configuration'
Tue Oct 30 10:20:01 2012 Dell PowerConnect W-AP93 XXXX Configuration status changed to 'Too many errors fetching existing configuration'
Tue Oct 30 10:20:01 2012 System Device Dell PowerConnect W-AP93 XXXX Configuration status changed to 'Telnet/SSH Error: (pattern match timed-out) in password prompt: '

I want it to audit the configs of each APs, I was wondering if this is related to it not being in the catalog either?

1. Sanity check group settings

Go to Groups -> select group controller is in -> go to Basic tab

Make sure that the SNMP version is set correctly

2. Sanity check the credentials AMP has for your controllers:

Go to Groups -> select group controller is in -> select controller -> go to Manage tab -> View Device Credentials

Confirm that the credentials given work from the AMP CLI

If you're on SNMPv2c, then command will look like:

# s2w ip.of.controller community_string oid flags

ex: # s2w 10.10.10.10 public sysName

If you're on SNMPv3, then command will look like:

# s3w id_of_controller oid flags

where id_of_controller is AMP's id that you can get from the URL

ex: if URL = amp.ip.address/ap_monitoring?id=1234

# s3w 1234 sysName

Also check telnet/ssh from AMP to the controller from the AMP's CLI:

# ssh admin@controller

enable and do a # show running-config

If all of the above is possible with the credentials you have on the manage page, then it should all work.  Try going to audit page and running the audit.  If there's still issues, make sure there's not more to the errors.

# /var/log/ap/(url_id)/telnet_cmds

where url_id is gotten the same way we got the controller's id above.

Rob Gin
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: