Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Visual RF Tips

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 02, 2013 05:24 PM

I'm working on my first wireless design in Visual RF and need some tips on a few things.  I tried using the provision APs option with -65 signal strength (there will be VoWLAN), but it left a lot of gaping holes which I had to fill by manually placing APs.  I used the default power levels, 12mw during provisioning, but I'm not sure if the power levels should be tweaked to improve coverage.  If so, what should those power levels be?  Any other tips for AP placement?

• 2.  RE: Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 02, 2013 07:23 PM

We don't use VisualRF, we actually use AirMagnet Planner.  I would recommend that what ever planning that you are doing, your first step is to visit the site.  Check out what material the walls are made of, the doors, windows, etc.  Depending on this material will depend on how the software will propagate the signal.  The most accruate your planner, the better results you will receive.  We also place our APs at -63 for VoWifi and set them at half the power.  That way, we are planning at losing an adjacent AP and the other two taking up the slack by increasiing power levels.

• 3.  RE: Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 02, 2013 07:42 PM

Not sure if you are already but one thing you could use is the autocad file of that particular floor, it will help with the floor layout VisualRF gets more information and it helps accuracy 

• 4.  RE: Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 03, 2013 11:37 AM

Very true, get the CAD file that is up to scale and get a measurement of a long hallway to be as accurate as possible.

• 5.  RE: Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 03, 2013 03:36 PM

I've had problems lately with CAD file errors so I switched to PDF files. They have the same distance key at the bottom so you can scale your floor adequately..

• 6.  RE: Visual RF Tips

Posted Oct 03, 2013 10:49 PM

Thanks for chiming in, guys.

A site-survey tool is in the budget for next year.  For the time being, I've gotta work with VisualRF and some drawings that I imported.  I've got measurements and materials as well.

My main issue has been understanding what the exact power levels should be when mocking it up.  Salvi, are you setting yours at 15dBm, then?  Also, how does that affect your decision for setting your min/max EIRP levels in the ARM profile?

• 7.  RE: Visual RF Tips

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2013 04:57 AM

thecompnerd,

Please take a look a the V RD " indoor 802.11n surveying and planning" here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/Indoor80211n_2012-05-31.pdf

It will give you tips AND explanations about doing site surveys.  It will also tell you why different sites and deployments require a different approach.