Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

Posted Jan 10, 2014 10:28 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of re-evaluating the current wireless infrastructure.

We have identified some trouble spots and we would like to try and improve signal strength.

I am giving VisualRF a go to see if it can help us determine where is the best place to add AP's (if that is indeed the best solution).

One question that I have though is dealing with objects within the environment that we believe could be causing issues with the signal strength.

For instance, we have a large warehouse that contains rows of metal wire racking that goes almost to the ceiling and is stocked with metal storage bins. We have employees who must have signal in these rows. A few of these rows have been identified as spots where signal strength is sketchy.

Is there a way in VisualRF that I could mark this as a region and identify it as a metal material. 

I am using Dell's version of VirtualRF so I am not sure if I am missing features, but the only way I could think of doing this would be to mark it with a region and set the walls as concrete. But I don't know how closely concrete would mimic the effects of metal on wireless signal.

I don't have any previous experience laying wireless AP's so I am just trying to understand how what we currently have could be affected by the surrounding environment.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

cheers

• 2.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2014 10:44 AM

Since this is a warehouse and deployment as well as adjusting access points can be costly, I suggest you start with this presentation about deploying in warehouses by our resident expert here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/Wireless-Design-for-Stores-Warehouses-amp-Manufacturing/ta-p/21618

You can certainly draw walls in VisualRF, but warehouses require special handling that probably would not be addressed completely in VisualRF

• 3.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

Posted Jan 10, 2014 11:17 AM

Hey cjoseph,

Thank you for that great link. I have briefly looked over it and it looks like a good read.

We do have office space that also has wireless.

I should probably be re-evaluating the office space and warehouse space separately in order to get a more accurate picture.

I was wondering if you know of any resources that talk about the effects of different types of material on wireless signal? It looks like the warehouse presentation might cover that in a little detail.

How would you say VisualRF is for office planning?

Thank you,

cheers

• 4.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2014 11:29 AM
    Visual RF is its best at office planning.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

Posted Jan 10, 2014 01:00 PM

We've been quite happy with VisualRF for warehouse and store planning as well.

(your milage may vary)

We have pallet racking from floor to very-nearly the ceiling (around 35 feet) and I model using "concrete" walls down the center of each aisle. Our results in use are slightly better than as planned since the shelves aren't always full.

For "problem" areas or high-interference or just plain odd configurations of shelves and screens and truckers with their own hot-spots (ofter well outside FCC limits) we have to do manual walk-through and finagelling.

• 6.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

Posted Jan 10, 2014 01:36 PM

@msabin wrote:

We've been quite happy with VisualRF for warehouse and store planning as well.

(your milage may vary)

We have pallet racking from floor to very-nearly the ceiling (around 35 feet) and I model using "concrete" walls down the center of each aisle. Our results in use are slightly better than as planned since the shelves aren't always full.

For "problem" areas or high-interference or just plain odd configurations of shelves and screens and truckers with their own hot-spots (ofter well outside FCC limits) we have to do manual walk-through and finagelling.

Thanks msabin for the info it is very much appreciated.

It sounds like we have a similar setup and my thought was to do a "concrete" wall as well between aisle to simiulate some sort of interference.

Great advice though thank you!

Cheers

• 7.  RE: VisualRF Plan and AP Placement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2014 01:01 PM
    Msabin,

Thank you for that real world example!