Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF - User location issue

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VisualRF - User location issue

Posted Jan 31, 2012 03:02 PM

So, in VisualRF, I will sometimes see users in certain areas while they are connected to APs in other buildings on campus. Far enough away that there is no way the APs in this area could see them.

Typically, at least every one that I checked, the user was in that area within the last few/couple of hours but has moved on.

Is there something that maybe I have configured incorrectly in VisualRF?

What is curious, is that 90-95% of users are located correctly (in the proper building/floor anyways).

Thanks

• 2.  RE: VisualRF - User location issue

Posted Jan 31, 2012 10:42 PM

I wonder if there are enough APs to triangulate the location of the user correctly.  See which AP the user is connected to, then find the neighbors that AP sees to see if can at least see two to triangulate the correct location.

• 3.  RE: VisualRF - User location issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 12:07 AM

@chrisbrizzell wrote:

So, in VisualRF, I will sometimes see users in certain areas while they are connected to APs in other buildings on campus. Far enough away that there is no way the APs in this area could see them.

Typically, at least every one that I checked, the user was in that area within the last few/couple of hours but has moved on.

Is there something that maybe I have configured incorrectly in VisualRF?

What is curious, is that 90-95% of users are located correctly (in the proper building/floor anyways).

Thanks

Please open a case with support, to make sure they come up with an explanation.  

• 4.  RE: VisualRF - User location issue

Posted Feb 01, 2012 02:49 PM
    Having same issue. I did not draw regions, running VirtualRF within Airways, in monitor mode only. It was working fine but suddently stopped showing users in proper location, they all show on corner of screen. Msg on user label is " invalid signal, user not placed" connection line shows up, with 0db showing. Rouges show, checked and toggled all possible settings in the display settings area. Only difference in working and not working is the addition of more buildings and floors. I noticed that the allocated mem. was only 512 so I increased it to 1.5gig. Which made no difference. 3 building, total floors 16, users 500+ but not all in these buildings, still working on full campus, heatmap shows plenty of overlap. Grid cells 3x3 Am I missing something? Carl

• 5.  RE: VisualRF - User location issue

Posted Feb 02, 2012 12:06 PM
    Obviously a mem. resource issue... Got it...bumped mem to 16gig.

• 6.  RE: VisualRF - User location issue

Posted Feb 17, 2012 10:42 PM

@Carl, what do you mean memory issue? do you add 16GB RAM or you just increase memory allocation to 16GB? and where i can find the setting to increase memory allocation?