Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Nov 19, 2014 05:31 PM

I hope this is the right thread.

I have AirWave 8.0.0, VisualRF and 30+ iAP-105s. Our building has 3 floors. Some of the clients are showing up on the wrong floor of the building. I know I can drag clients to the correct location as long as that location is on the same floor but is there a way to move a client to a different floor so that its physical location is coorect?

I can provide more info as needed.

• 2.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Nov 19, 2014 06:30 PM
    You should consider upgrading to the latest code of AirWave there's a lot of fixes on 8.0.5

• 3.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2014 10:37 AM

There were several VRF related changes in 8.0, you should at least be on 8.0.4.1.

Also, you should check out the site.xml file.  In VRF, go to a floor plan, then click anywhere in the floor plan to make sure the floor plan is the active frame, then key press: ctrl+x+m+l.  This should launch a new tab displaying the site.xml.  Look for the client, and check what neighboring radios hear the client and strength of the signal.

Otherwise, open a support case to debug further after upgrading.

• 4.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will update and post back.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Dec 03, 2014 03:11 PM

I updated Airwave and I am still having problems with devices appearing on the wrong floor in the building.

• 6.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:05 PM

Is the client associated to the access point on that floor?  How far apart do you have the access points?  Is there any way you can double-check to ensure that the access points correspond to the access points in VisualRF?

• 7.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:22 PM

We are a school and have a 3 story building. The device is in the basement, the AP it is connected to is on the 3rd level and VisualRF shows the device on the Second floor.

I have an AP in every classroom.

Interestingly there is another AP directly between the device and the 3rd floor AP that the device is connecing to. There is also an AP in the next room over from the device. The room the device is in is an office area and there is no AP in that room.

I will verify the AP physical locations with Airwave but I just put them in this summer and I am fairly certain they are correct but I can deffinately see how it would throw everything off if Airwave has them in the wrong spot.

• 8.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:26 PM

Todd,

How far apart are your access points?

Are they in rooms or in hallways?

What is their transmit power?

• 9.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:42 PM

Colin,

Thanks for the follow up. Most of them are in classrooms. There are a couple places like the lunch room where we have more than one in the room.The transmit power is 3 - 15. Client match is on with an Interval of 30 seconds, 75% neighbor matching and a threshold of 2.

The distances vary depending on where you are in the building. The APs are not laid out in a grid. I'd say the distance is approximately 30 feet in most cases. Maybe a little less.

• 10.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:44 PM

Todd7912,

Thank you and let us know.

• 11.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Dec 08, 2014 02:58 PM

I verified that VisualRF matches the physical location of the APs.

• 12.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2014 03:05 PM

The only thing I could say is make sure that ARM scanning is enabled:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/ARM/Configuring_ARM-Features.htm#scanning

If it is, please open a TAC case to determine what your issue is.

• 13.  RE: VisualRF shows client on the wrong floor

Posted Dec 08, 2014 03:12 PM

Thanks Colin. Scanning was off. I will let it run for a day or so and check to see if it has gotten any better.