Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Vlan Pooling

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Vlan Pooling

Posted Sep 04, 2013 03:43 PM

Hello, i have a hopefully easy question.  I am running out of IP's in my main Student wireless vlan.  I have a second one that i would like to use and it sounds like vlan pooling is the way to go.  I created the vlan pool but i dont see it as an option to select when defining the vlan of the user role.  We are using clearpass so when it returns a role of "student" to the controller the user role "student" is dropped onto vlan 42.  This is set in "Access Control" then i edit the role and under Role Vlan ID i have vlan 42 selected. 

I would like to change this so that the user role "student" drops into the vlan pool istead of vlan 42.  What am i missing?

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: Vlan Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2013 03:45 PM

Hi, what version of code are you running? User-role VLAN pools were added in 6.3

• 3.  RE: Vlan Pooling

Posted Sep 04, 2013 03:48 PM

6.2.1.2.  So i need to do a code upgrade to get the funtionality?  Thats a bit of a bummer.  I just hate doing code upgrades when things are working ok, because you never know what might happen.   

• 4.  RE: Vlan Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2013 03:56 PM

Unfortunately you would need to upgrade to 6.3.x to take advantage of this new feature.

An alternative would be to return a vlan pool name in the RADIUS reponse with the VSA "Aruba-Named-Vlan".

You could also split up your AP groups and assign different VLANs to the VAPs.