Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 21, 2016 12:24 PM

I have 52 205 AP's and have set up 2 ssid's, on on the default VLAN (phs) and another on VLAN 2 (phs_guest)

I have created the identical VLAN's on my cisco switched infrastructure and have truncked the ports where necessary. Ive tested the vlans work by connecting to them with cable. Vlan tagging is enabled to

The issue I have is that a device connecting to the phs_guest ssid only sometimes gets an ip address. I know the vlans on my switches are correct as I can connect with a cable on both vlans and communicate.

Is there something I'm missing?

• 2.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2016 12:26 PM

Are these Instant (IAPs) or Controller-Based APS?

• 3.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 21, 2016 12:56 PM

They are IAP's, so no controller. The AP's themselves form a virtual controller...

• 4.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 22, 2016 04:05 AM

Another issue is that when some devices connect they attempt to get an IP address from the wrong vlan, and fail to get an address in the end.

• 5.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 22, 2016 04:10 AM

Hey, what is providing DHCP for the VLAN? Is it the Virtual Controller or an external DHCP server? Have you run a wireshark capture to confirm if a DHCP response is being seen by the client?

• 6.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 22, 2016 06:04 AM

Its an external dhcp server, on vlan2 and as the ports are trunked it should be seen when a client associates with the AP. WHen I use the Virtual Controller for DHCP I do get an address.

Sometimes a client connects, but gets the IP from anothe vlan and this as I understand it was a bug...

• 7.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 22, 2016 06:11 AM

That is odd, when the client obtains an IP from the wrong VLAN, do you also see that this is the case on the external DHCP server?

• 8.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 22, 2016 06:26 AM

...added to this, the problem only affects ipad and android clients, wireless laptops connect ok, its a very strange issue..

• 9.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 22, 2016 07:21 AM

Seems to be irrelivent where the dhcp request comes from. Its just odd that it only affects mac's, ipads and android devices, wireless laptops are fine!

• 10.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2016 08:36 AM

Is the VLAN set in the SSID or are you using a radius attribute to set the VLAN?  How is this configured?

• 11.  RE: Vlan not recognised 100% of the time

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:24 PM

The vlan's are configured manually, both on the Aruba system and my cisco switches. All ports are trunked.

Vlan1 is the default on a 10.251.x.x subnet

Vlan2 is the guest wireless on a 10.252.x.x subnet