Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

Voice over IP (VoIP) Deployment with Aruba Mobility Access Switch Application Note Now Available

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Voice over IP (VoIP) Deployment with Aruba Mobility Access Switch Application Note Now Available

Posted Jul 31, 2012 03:26 PM

Voice over IP (VoIP) is an intricate part of today’s enterprise network. Although there is a proliferation of cell phones and smart phones for work-purposes, VoIP phones on the desk are likely to have staying power for several years to come. Then the question is, what tools are available to streamline the successful deployment and management of a wired VoIP phone solution in your enterprise network?

From a technical perspective, there are various items to consider when considering a VoIP deployment on the VoIP phones as well as the access switches that connect them

• Separation of voice traffic
    • Protocols to use
    • Supported standards or vendor specific features (CDP, anyone?)
    • Physical connectivity method
    • As well as authentication in case security is involved

Together these are the items that define the successful VoIP deployment.

The Aruba Mobility Access Switch (MAS) provides a number of important features to solve these issues. This includes voice VLAN, Link Layer Discovery Protocol – Media Endpoint Discovery (LLDP-MED), CDP fingerprinting, Quality of Service (QoS), and various authentication methods to enable the successful deployment of VoIP in enterprise networks. You might be wondering, where could I learn more details about all these features? Or, you might already know which features and methods you want to use, but require details on exactly how to implement them. Well, we’ve put together an application note to address those questions, available here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/#Campus under “Voice over IP (VoIP) Deployment with Aruba Mobility Access Switch”

I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you have any questions which I’d be happy to answer in this forum.