Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WIFI Performance

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 06, 2017 11:47 AM

Hello

We currently have the following setup:

Type:
    Build Time:
    2017-08-08 06:38:37 UTC (build 60886) by p4build
    Version:

We have 4 AP's and the controller reports 130 connected clients, split roughly between the 4 AP's

We are having the following issues on the WIFI Only:

Users are complaining of Slow Performance

Skype calls are being dropped

Pages are timing out

I will sometimes loose some pings while on the AP's or have higher MS response time. Normally sit around 5ms but spikes to 150, 900ms etc

HP Switches have been checked and no CRC errors etc on the ports.

Equipment has been rebooted

2.4 and 5GHZ is setup although 5ghz is pref and I'm connected on 5GHZ

Each client is restricted to 30mbps up/down in an effort to help resolve some issues. But we are still having the mentioned above issues.

However when on the LAN there are no issues and everythig is fast.

What extra information do you need from me to help diagnose this issue as I'm new to Aruba points.

• 2.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 06, 2017 05:34 PM

Personally I would eliminate the user restrictions.

Disable 2.4 on one AP. (There are only 3 non-overlapping channels)

Upgrade code to the newest version.

Add an additional AP.

Enable 'Drop BC/MC' on the VAP.

• 3.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 10, 2017 11:55 PM

Hi,

You can force 5GHz in Steering mode in VAP profile or disable 2.4GHz band as above.

• 4.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 11, 2017 03:58 AM

Hi!

130 / 4 so around 32 users per AP. Since wifi is basically half duplex, 32 users on the same AP and channel is alot in my opinion. More APs would be better, if its a large open area we´re talking about maybe adjust the signal strenght down, allthough arm generally does a good job managing this.

• 5.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 17, 2017 04:29 PM
      |   view attached

Hello,

I have a mix of 335's and 225's with about 250 clients in an elementary school. I MAC computers and iPads and my clients are taking 60 seconds to find an airport and when they do they have bad performance also they can drop the network at times. I am unable to find a fix for this issue.I have looked at Bluetooth and microwave interference but can find none.

The distance between the AP's is about 40' to 50'

Any ideas?

Thank you for any and all help! 

• 6.  RE: WIFI Performance

• 7.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 18, 2017 02:16 PM

Thank you! Lots of info here I will make some changes and let you know if they worked out. Thank you for your help! 

• 8.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:33 PM
      |   view attached

So I have checked out some settings and things look odd. In my tests, I am finding a lot of noise -75+ even when I am testing only 2 feet from some of my AP's

I have changed my power TX settings down.

I cant find any issues with interference devices.  

Our clients have been getting kicked off of the network a lot today and we have had no bandwidth issues. 

I can see that we have some errors in AirWave but don't know what they mean.

Any ideas?

Thank you for any and all help!

• 9.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:43 PM

If you have support, open a ticket. They will ask you to enable user-debugging for a specific client and then send the debug logs along with the exact times of the disconnects.

Are all your AP's in the same AP group?

• 10.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:52 PM

We have a support open on this issue but having trouble still.

Yes, all of the AP's are in the same group. 

However, only our elementary school is having issues, Our high school and middle school seem fine.

Will we be able to track 600 clients with this issue or is this a single user tracking?

Thanks!

• 11.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:57 PM

Did you make any changes?  When you say you are observing noise, where are you seeing that figure?  Typically only the access point measures noise...

• 12.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:04 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you so much for your help, Your document you posted was a lot of help! Thank you for sharing it. I have it bookmarked on my computer.

Thanks!

I was using a NetScout OneTouch and a Netcout Airchecker G2 for my testers running test all over in rooms and in hallways. 

I have a range of results but my testers are telling me that we have a lot of noise in most places and overuse of some channels. I don't know how to change the channel balance on the Aruba tho. I thought it was in the Fair/Ballance options?

• 13.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:05 PM

On which band do you have the problems on?  (2.4ghz or 5ghz)?

• 14.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:06 PM

• 15.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:12 PM

What is your channel width on the 5ghz band?

• 16.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:13 PM

• 17.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:18 PM

Change "Wide Channels" to "none".  Having wide channels on 2.4ghz is pretty much a death sentence.  Unchecking Wide channels on 5ghz will give you more channels to work with.

• 18.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:23 PM

I have just done as you said and will run some test. Thank you for jumping in on this issue I am very thankful for the help.

Thank you so much for the help. 

• 19.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:25 PM

Also change "client aware" to disabled so that access points can find an optimal channel, even if clients are associated to it.  If you don't uncheck that, access points will stay on the same channel and possibly cause co-channel interference.

• 20.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:35 PM

Thank you Colin,

I have just done that also and will run some tests to see the result of the changes made. 

I will let you know what I find as soon as I know something. 

Thank you so much for helping troubleshoot this issue with me. 

• 21.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:12 PM

Our issue seems to be with computers but our iPads are without issue

• 22.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:13 PM

User-Debugging targets a specific client. You will have to single one out. It can be hard but it's a guaranteed path to finding a root cause. Otherwise you can only proceed based on generic advice.You can run multiple user-debugg's but too many will overwhelm the controller.  

Keep in mind you can request for your case to be escalated.

• 23.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 19, 2017 06:38 PM

Thank you for the reminder of escalation, If I were to request this issue to be escalated would it go to second level support or will I just receive prompt phone calls?

Thanks!

• 24.  RE: WIFI Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 11:00 PM

I don't know.  If it seems like you are not getting any where you can ask to have the case escalated, but the parameters that were pointed out are the ones that would cause what you are seeing in your tester...  You should only see channels 1, 6, 11 (depending on your regulatory domain).

• 25.  RE: WIFI Performance

Posted Oct 20, 2017 02:18 PM

Colin,

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions with our issues.

So far today our clients have had NO connection issues after making the changes that you suggested to us. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will still monitor the network but we are looking good so far. 

Thank you so much, Colin.