Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WLAN Bridge

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 10:59 AM

Hello,

I don't have much experience configuring Aruba APs but would like to create a WLAN bridge we have a 3400 controller and two AP-124 can I create a mesh point and portal with the AP-124 and is that the best why to configure what I am looking to do? Thanks MJF

• 2.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 11:04 AM

Yes, that is the best way.

You will need to create a mesh cluster profile, then assign that mesh cluster profile to the AP group where you place the APs, then make one AP a mesh portal (the one that has wired connectivity to the controller) and one a mesh point (the "far" side of the connection).   When you provision the AP as the mesh point, it will drop from the wired network and only reconnect once it can establish a wireless link with the portal.

• 3.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 11:09 AM

Olino,

Thanks for your quick response. I believe I need to enable Control Panel Security will that cause any issues with existing AP125s?

• 4.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 11:24 AM

For a point to point WLAN mesh (AKA bridge connection), you don't need CPSec.  It would definitely cause ALL the APs to reboot, since they have to update their trust anchor.  I highly recommend NOT enabling CPSec unless you need to.

This is a bit confusing.  If you need bridge mode APs (APs that drop client traffic on the Ethernet cable plugged into the AP), then you need CPSec.  If you are doing mesh (two APs that use the WLAN link to connect wired segments), then you don't need CPSec.

Does that make sense?

• 5.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 01:33 PM

I'm still a little confused what we want to do is connect a satellite office across a pond we are replacing two airport extremes which were connected to external antennas so the distance wont be an issue. The main campus AP will be wired to the network and the satellite office will have clients connecting to two SSID wirelessly. I hope that info helps

Thanks for your help!

• 6.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted Apr 24, 2012 01:45 PM

1.  Put BOTH APs on the local network so they can connect to the controller

2.  Create a mesh cluster profile

3.  Assign that mesh cluster profile to the AP group where you will place the two APs

4.  Provision to two APs into the group above

5.  Set the appropriate antenna gain

6.  Set the main campus AP to be a mesh portal

7.  Set the satellite AP to be a mesh point (at this point the AP will reboot and go off the network)

8.  Install the APs in the permanent position and connect the antennas

9.  Wait for the satellite AP to "find" the mesh portal using wireless and make it's mesh connection

9.  In the AP group above, add the two SSIDs you want the satellite office users to connect to

Hint:  The CLI command "show ap mesh topology" and "show ap mesh active" are good sources of information once the link is up (or to help get it up).

• 7.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted May 01, 2012 12:00 PM

olino,

I followed your instructions and I was able to get a connection in my office! but set up in production I'm not able to see the mesh point. Does it take a while for the connection to be made? I set the 2.4 dbi gain based on the antenna for 15 dbi.

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted May 01, 2012 12:22 PM

What is the part number for the antenna?

• 9.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted May 01, 2012 01:31 PM

It is a HyperLink HG2415G does it need to be an Aruba antenna?

Thanks Again

• 10.  RE: WLAN Bridge

Posted May 01, 2012 01:52 PM

Which connector did you use on the AP-124?  I don't have the install guide in front of me, but you have to use the right connector AND make sure you terminate the unused connectors.