Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

MVP
    Posted Apr 03, 2017 01:56 PM

New setup, 2x 7220, AP335, ArubaOS 6.5.1.4

Clients fail to receive ip addresses through DHCP. User-table confirms they are placed in the correct vlan. When configured with fixed ip addresses they can communicate without problem. 

DHCP server is within the vlan itself, no helper required.

Controller dhcp debug shows the DHCP discover from the client but nothing else for its own clients. It does however see more DHCP for other (wired) clients not connected via the Aruba.

The controller itself can get an address in that vlan via dhcp when I set it to dhcp-client.

Port-channel and vlans are configured with trust. 

Went back and configure completely open ssid with dhcp-allow + allowall rules. DHCP rules gets hits.

Moved AP and clients to backup (local) controller: exact same behaviour.

What am I missing here?

• 2.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

Posted Apr 03, 2017 02:14 PM
    Can you try changing the ACL to allowall acl under the user-role?

Have you tried adding the ip helper ?

How's your port-channel configured on both sides ?

• 3.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

MVP
    Posted Apr 03, 2017 02:16 PM

Tried both, no effect.

LACP on both end. Haven't seen the actual config on the LAN side but since fixed ip addresses work fine...

• 4.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

MVP
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 03:58 AM

When the controller is configured as DHCP server the lient is able to receive an ip address.

Downgrading to 6.5.0.4 does not resolve the problem.

• 5.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 07:30 AM

Somehow your devices cannot reach your DHCP server, or the scope is not configured correctly on the DHCP server...

• 6.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

MVP
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 07:56 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

Somehow your devices cannot reach your DHCP server, or the scope is not configured correctly on the DHCP server...

agreed.

And since the controller vlan itself can get an ip address I'm thinking the blockage must be on the controller, but since all interfaces and vlans are trusted, and the user-role is wide open I can't think of what else is blocking trafic?

DHCP server is inside the vlan and no firewall is inbetween

Scope is correct too.. 

• 7.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 08:01 AM

The answer is in your network.  You control the configuration of the controller as well as the DHCP server and the switches.  Simplify as much as possible to get to the bottom of your problem.

• 8.  RE: WLAN clients not receiving DHCP address

Posted Apr 04, 2017 09:00 AM

@koen wrote:

@cjoseph wrote:

agreed.

And since the controller vlan itself can get an ip address I'm thinking the blockage must be on the controller, but since all interfaces and vlans are trusted, and the user-role is wide open I can't think of what else is blocking trafic?

DHCP server is inside the vlan and no firewall is inbetween

Scope is correct too.. 

interesting,

if the controller can get the ip address on that specific vlan, then its safe to say its not a network issue. Unless it got it via a helper address off another vlan/port? you said you didnt have one to begin with, but then it sounded like you added one for testing...

so that leaves it to be between the controller and the clients.

what i would be interested to know is if you wired a laptop right to the controller, set the port as a access port of that vlan and see if you can get a DHCP...

If you can, we can point to user roles or ap groups and so on...