Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

Posted Mar 28, 2018 09:49 AM
      |   view attached

Aruba 7010 (os: 6.5.4.3)

hi recently we have configured WPA2-Enterprise SSID (strong encryption with 802.1x authentication), authentication server is NPS (NPS installed and configured on windows server 2008 domain controller).

SSID is working from windows 10 OS (users able to authenticate with Domain controller using ad username and password) but from windows 7 OS users couldnot able to connect the SSID (error attached and even users not getting the authentication prompt also).

• 2.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 10:50 AM

Check your Windows 7 client config to compare against your working Windows 10 configuration. The first item I check would be whether the Windows 7 devices are trying to verify the NPS server's certificate. Depending on what CA signed that cert, it may or may not have been pushed out via GPO to your Windows 7 domain joined machines. 

• 3.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

Posted Mar 28, 2018 11:11 AM

we have compared the configuration on windows 7 with windows 10, both have same configuration.

even if it is related with certificate we need to get the authentication prompt am i correct (as per my understanding during username & password checking only certificate validation happen).

please do correct me if am wrong.

• 4.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 11:38 AM

If the Windows 7 client is configured to validate the server certificate, and that validation fails, then everything stops there without prompting for credentials.

That's the second part of the Windows 7 config ... it may prompt for credentials, but the default behavior is to use the logged in username/password without prompting.

• 5.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

Posted Mar 28, 2018 11:40 AM

Ok, let me check this ad revert asap.

• 6.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

Posted Mar 31, 2018 02:24 AM

yesterday we have checked on some more client OS (windows 7 professional sp1, windows7 enterprise sp1, windows 8 & windows 10) and we concluded as conectivity issue only with windows 7 enterprise sp1 os.

default wireless adapter setting on windows 7 enterprise is WPA2-Personal & AES (which is the currently connected ssid /our other working ssid details) (refer attachemnt no: 1) and once we manaully change the security type to WPA2-Enterprise and specify 802.1x authentication mode: as "user or computer authentication" (refer attachemnt no: 2), after from this device is able to connect to our new WPA2-Enterprise SSID.

can we resolve this issue without the manuall configuration on the devices (win7 enteprise sp1) as our most of devices having the same OS.

• 7.  RE: WPA2-Enterprise SSID not connecting from windows 7 OS | Aruba 7010

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2018 02:25 PM

Microsoft Windows wireless settings can be configured using group policy.  Please google that.