Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference

Posted Nov 10, 2017 10:43 AM

Dear All,

My question is the following:

Is there any restriction in the WIPS activity in case we use wave 1 AM APs in Wave 2 environment?

I mean for example a 205 AP used in AM mode can't detect the Wave 2 client that connect to Wave 2 Rogue AP or do any malicious activity.

Every difference is interesting.

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2017 10:59 AM

There's nothing special about a Wave2 AP in terms of how they communicate on a protocol level that would be obscured from a Wave1 AP. Unless there are vulnerabilities exposed in the MU-MIMO component of the AP-Client communication (which to my knowledge there isn't), an 11ac Wave1 AP as a pure WIDS sensor should be able to monitor a Wave2 environment without any gaps.

• 3.  RE: Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference

Posted Nov 13, 2017 04:05 AM

Hi jhoward,

Thank you for your answer.

I remembered that the Wave 2 AP can use 160 MHz wide channel but Wave 1 AP only can use 80 MHz wide channel.

Is not that a problem ?

Best regards,

tkpeter

• 4.  RE: Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2017 04:13 AM

AP management traffic still uses a single channel even when bonding (40mhz/80mhz/160mhz), and the management channel is what is monitored for WIDS/WIPS.  That does not change in a 160 mhz wide channel.

• 5.  RE: Wave 1 and Wave 2 WIPS difference

Posted Nov 13, 2017 04:28 AM

Hi Joseph,

Very thank you.

Best regards,
    tkpeter