Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What does "Meshing" actually do?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What does "Meshing" actually do?

Posted Feb 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Hi,

I think I have been thinking all wrong about the purpose of creating mesh profiles and clusters.

What is the actual purpose of the concept of meshing?

Is it to provide a means for the AP's to communicate with one another when there may only be one LAN connection?

Meshing isn't required in order for the AP's do to client handover right? Clients should still be able to roam between AP's even if they aren't in a cluster?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: What does "Meshing" actually do?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 10, 2016 11:37 AM
    The purpose of using a mesh link is to allow to two or more APs communicate over a wireless link (line of sight) when there's no wired connection between them.

If the APs can reach each other over the LAN then you don't need to mesh .

For roaming if the APs are part of the same RF domain and controller then the clients should be able to roam.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

• 3.  RE: What does "Meshing" actually do?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 10, 2016 11:40 AM

Hi,

It's not needed for roaming or client handover or anything like that. 

It's a specific wireless networking concept where you can have a mesh of APs connected to each other via wireless to enable you to provide wireless coverage where there is no wired network. That's a high level basic example..

More reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network 

Cheers

James

• 4.  RE: What does "Meshing" actually do?

Posted Feb 10, 2016 01:09 PM

Thanks guys for the speedy reply.

I was definitely not right about what the profiles are used for. But now it is clear!

I very much appreciate the information.

Cheers