Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the best distance between 2 AP indoor Campus mode in clear line of sight for VOIP roam?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  What is the best distance between 2 AP indoor Campus mode in clear line of sight for VOIP roam?

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:18 AM

I need to know the distance between two access points that will be used for VOIP so I need to know what is the best distance to avoid any roaming issue?

• 2.  RE: What is the best distance between 2 AP indoor Campus mode in clear line of sight for VOIP roam?

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:43 AM
    There's quite a few factors when it comes to roaming, however one of the easiest ones that gets a lot of people is power. You should try using 12 min power and 18 max as a starting point and tune it from there. If a client can hear an access point blasting at max power then it may stick to that one rather than roaming to a better AP. I would suggest reading the high density VRD and roaming devices VRD to get a good idea of all the things to look out for in those situations.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_Roaming.pdf

• 3.  RE: What is the best distance between 2 AP indoor Campus mode in clear line of sight for VOIP roam?

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:54 AM

Yes I know this ButI need toknow when I use 12 as min and 18 as max EIRP what will be the optimal distance in clear line of sight

• 4.  RE: What is the best distance between 2 AP indoor Campus mode in clear line of sight for VOIP roam?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2014 12:52 PM

@ADAMS wrote:

I need to know the distance between two access points that will be used for VOIP so I need to know what is the best distance to avoid any roaming issue?

ADAMS,

The manufacturer of whatever VOIP product you purchase dictates what signal strength and how many access points need to be in area for good performance with their product.  You should consult the VOIP manufacturer's datashets for that information.