Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:54 AM

Hi guys,

I read the document about vlan-pooling taday,they said using vlan-pooling can reduce broadcast packets.

but even you use 2 vlans in one ssid, still the broadcast packets should cross the air every vlan has to 

wait for the difs time, so there is no different for 1vlan or 2 vlans.

I think the only different here is that the clients will handle the broadcast packets in layer 2 or layer 3.

• 2.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:57 AM
    Only dropping broadcasts truly reduces broadcasts. Vlan pooling could only help depending on how many users are in each vlan. Vlan pooling could also increase the number of broadcasts users are exposed to in vlans they do not belong to.

• 3.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

Posted Jun 15, 2015 09:01 AM

Thanks, I'm totally agree with you, so the PPT about vlan-pooling was wrong, right?

• 4.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 09:12 AM
    Which PPT? Vlan pooling can reduce broadcasts depending on how it is configured and how many devices are in a single vlan. "Drop broadcasts and unknown multicast" just happens to reduce broadcasts better.

• 5.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

Posted Jun 15, 2015 09:20 AM

From the ACMP training PPT.

I will send the pic tomorrow.

• 6.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

Posted Jun 15, 2015 09:25 AM

And can you give me a scenario which vlan-pooling can reduce the broadcast packets?

• 7.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 09:50 AM

An access point will only deliver broadcast traffic to an access point that has a user associated on that VLAN.  If you have  10 access points, and a single VLAN and a user associated on every access point, it has to deliver it to 10 access points.  If you use VLAN pooling and more than one VLAN in a pool, the access point would only have to deliver the traffic to the access points that have users on the VLAN with the broadcast, so statistically it could be less based on the fact that you would not have to deliver a broadcast to all users.  

After VLAN pooling was created a number of methods were introduced to control broadcasts like broadcast filter all, airgroup and dynamic multicast optimization that go even further than just statistically to drop broadcasts, so that VLAN pooling is not the most effective thing that can be used to control broadcasts.  Running broadcast and multicast applications on wireless and is very inefficient. You could just have "drop broadcast and multicast" enabled at the VAP level and use a single VLAN and not have to deal with any unwanted broadcasts.  Airgroup could also manage mdns and dlna traffic so that devices can discover each other without the broadcast overhead.  This is far more effective to control broadcasts than VLAN pooling.  VLAN pooling is still very good when you want to just add a VLAN capacity to a network without having to change subnet masks on all of your clients.

• 8.  RE: What is the usage of vlan-pooling?

Posted Jun 15, 2015 10:42 AM

Thanks a lot, now I can truely understand.