Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What triggers do you use?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  What triggers do you use?

Posted Feb 01, 2013 07:36 PM

I know everyone has a different environment, but what triggers do you have in place for alerts?

Here is my current lineup:

Type   Trigger
    802.11 Frame CountersACK Failure Rate >= 300 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersFailed Rate >= 20 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersRTS Failure Rate >= 20 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersFrame Duplicate Rate >= 5 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersMultiple Retry Rate >= 35 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersFrame Check Sequence Error Rate >= 175 frames/sec for 10 min
    802.11 Frame CountersRetry Rate >= 20 frames/sec for 5 min
    Channel UtilizationTime Busy (%) >= 95% for 5 min
    Channel UtilizationTime Busy (%) >= 80% for 30 min
    Channel UtilizationInterference (%) >= 25% for 3 hr
    Channel UtilizationInterference (%) >= 40% for 5 minutes
    Client CountClient Count on BSSIDs is at least 125 and Device Type is...
    Device DownDevice Type is Access Point and Minutes Down Threshold >=...
    Device DownDevice Type is Controller
    Device RADIUS Authentication IssuesCount >= 10 for 1 hr
    Device ResourcesDevice Type is Controller and Percent CPU Utilization >= ...
    Radio Noise FloorDevice Type is Access Point and Noise Floor(dBM) >= 80 dB...
    Rogue Device ClassifiedClassification = Rogue
    Total RADIUS Authentication IssuesCount >= 35 for 30 minutes

• 2.  RE: What triggers do you use?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2013 02:54 PM

For all AMPs, I suggest having at least 1 disk usage alert:

Disk Usage.  Partition Percent Used >=75%

For closed environments with repeat users:

New Client.  Choose wired/wireless mode.  Folder set to Top, and All Groups.

This will let you know if any new users are seen in your environment.  Noise only comes if clients get new devices, but otherwise, you'd expect no activity unless a new hire comes in.  Less useful if you allow many guests onsite.

If you're really good at keeping up with your Actual vs Desired config updates:

Config Mismatch

This alerts you when a device audit returns a mismatch.

If you're feeling like your network is pretty loaded and may need a refresh:

Device Resources.  Device Type = Controller, % CPU Usage >= 70% for Duration 15 mins.

• 3.  RE: What triggers do you use?

Posted Feb 06, 2013 12:18 PM

Thanks Rob, I have added the disk utilization trigger. and the controller cpu usage trigger.

I have been playing with my 802.11 counters quite a bit. Do you have any guidance on landing those in the right place?

• 4.  RE: What triggers do you use?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2013 06:10 PM

Let me do some more research on that.  The conditional values to use are different depending on your network layout, client base, and degree of interference.  Use cases I've seen often involve customers with heavy VOIP or Video steaming usage.

• 5.  RE: What triggers do you use?

Posted Feb 07, 2013 06:14 PM

I have an idea in the portal for setting them to a percentage value. If I know the number of retries it doesn't do me a whole lot of good. If I know the percentage of retries it is a much more useable stat. There was some conversation between Dan Comfort and Peter Lane back when he was the product mgr for Airwave. Peter made the point that when total number of packets is low retry percentage is high(er). Can we just have some sort of threshold for getting through that pointy end of the curve until we get x number of packets? Whatever statistically will make the precentage relevant?