Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?

Posted Jun 15, 2014 08:09 AM

now as we know AP175 work with PoE+ not PoE as sia dn datasheet but when I connected it to PoE port it worked but I didn't understand what makes it work?

• 2.  RE: What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2014 10:30 AM

The 175 requires 802.3at to be fully supported, as some of that power is required to run the heater. You will sometimes see the AP-175 come on and boot up fine with 802.3af if the heater is not required, but once the heater kicks on if/when the temps drop below freezing, the AP will shut down and not turn on until af power is established or the chassis gets above freezing.

So better to be compliant and use 802.3at power.

• 3.  RE: What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?

Posted Jun 15, 2014 11:19 AM

Ok you talk about freezing area scenario am I right ,but in normal air condetion will it work normally?

• 4.  RE: What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2014 12:21 PM

ADAMS,

At any time the software could require that the power source be POE+ and then your customer will run into issues.  You do not want to take that chance.

• 5.  RE: What will happen when we connect AP175 to PoE port not PoE+ ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2014 01:47 PM

Correct, with Colin. Just because it MAY work may change at any time with future code upgrades, etc. The final word is it will not be officially supported without 802.3at power. If any issues pop up on 802.3af, there will be no support.

EDIT: To add, 802.3at gig rated power injectors can be had for well under $100. There's no valid reason NOT to use the correct specification with the 175 when deployed, when that AP costs well over $2-3k deployed