Wireless Access

MVP

When do you think 2.4ghz band will dissapear for wireless clients?

Hello everyone!

This is just a though i had today and i would like to know what do you think....

Do you think that 2.4ghz clients will disapear any time soon? or eventually? as the new technologies like 802.11ac is already here, and to have their potential you need the 5ghz as you cannot have it on 2.4ghz .  I mean the giga speed.

IS there any article of this? i see a lot of clients still buying old b/g aps... for example in an hotel.  They do not have any  plans of having smart TVs in rooms, or using wireless for nothing else than giving wireless access to the client in the room.  They do deploy this one in each room.  centralized by a Wireless controller for example a solution of HP, really cheap and it works for they goal.

Now if i can for example tell them something like there are studies that says that there wont be anymore 2.4ghz clients in 4 years... you will have to buy everything again!  then they willl think about it.

Those are a lot of  hotels  here thinking the same wayy.   Also any advise regarding this would be helpful :)

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Aruba

Re: When do you think 2.4ghz band will dissapear for wireless clients?

Hi Carlos,

My own viewpoint is that we are actually going to see an INCREASE in the number of spectrum bands used, not a decrease and multi-frequency/band APs are going to be even more attractive than they are today.   Each band potentially used to accomplish something distinct (capacity on one band, range on another etc)

Today we use 2.4 and 5.0 GHz of course.   And yes, the market with dot11ac is going to slant towards 5GHz for awhile.

That being said though... there are discussions underway to use 60 GHz (802.11ad), White Space spectrum and even 902-928 MHz (Which I call "back to the future"... considering this was a band we were using in the pre dot11b days in the late 90's!)

One point of 'ammo' you might use is the projections for dot11ac client shipments.   Show the 'ramp' that is underway on those and that may be an eye opener for your clients to see that they are missing-the-boat if they only field dot11b/g.

JF

MVP

Re: When do you think 2.4ghz band will dissapear for wireless clients?

i already told them that but when they saw the price of the ac AP they were like ahhh ill stick with my b/g ap and will wait until the price drop in more years...

So i cannot even sell them 802.11n :)  my market here is mean :( they dont want to invest in technology :(

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: