Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:30 AM

I'm trying to understand the 'enable controllers load balance' feature available in VIA 2.1 - but there appears to be no User Guide for 2.1, only 2.0 - in which it is not mentioned.  Can someone point me to the UG?

I did find a reference to this in the AOS UG:

Enable Controllers Load Balance - Enable this option to allow the VIA client to failover to the next available selected randomly from the list as configured in the VIA Servers option. If disabled, VIA will failover to the next in the sequence of ordered list of VIA Servers

This seems to suggest that, unles you use different profiles for different users, in which the first server is different in each, you wouldn't actually get load balancing, unless you had both a primary failure and multiple available backups....  ?

• 2.  RE: Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:41 AM

You can use same profile for all users. The failover happens to next controller in the list if and only if the first controller in the list is not able to respond. If the option is enabled the selection of next controller is randomized. 

The only reuqirement is to have same configuration on all the controllers.

Regards

Vijay

• 3.  RE: Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:45 AM

Hi Vijay - thanks for explaining the feature.  I think the point I'm making is that, with a single profile, you don't actually get load balancing (which is probaby what people expect from just looking at the name of the feature) - unless the first controller in the list fails.  If that happened, you;d have to have at least two backups, to get any load balancing.

Do you have any news on the VIA 2.1 User Guide?

• 4.  RE: Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:52 AM

There is no intelligent load balancing as of now in VIA. Failover is the only thing supported.

The option name is little misleading.

There is a user guide for VIA, i belive it should be available in support site. If not let me see if I can share the same.

Thanks

Vijay

• 5.  RE: Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:53 AM

Thanks for confirming Vijay...

There is a UG on the support site, but only up to VIA 2.0.  There isn't one there for 2.1   (it looks like this feature was introduced in 2.1)

• 6.  RE: Where can I find the VIA 2.1 User Guide? (What does 'enable controllers load balance' do?)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 06:51 AM

Yes your understanding is correct. This option is used only for failure cases (when first server is not available). If first server is available all user will be connected to first server.