Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Why are my IAP-105's showing different 802.11 wireless types

See screenshot, all of these networks are from IAP-105's running with the virtual controller.  There are only 2 SSID's and 5 Radios.  So the top 5 listed are from one SSID (5 radios) second 5 listed are from second SSID(5 radios)  but 2/5 show b,g,n  3/5 show a,n.

I've double checked settings and everything seems to match... I can tell you 2/5 radios were purchased at a different time that the original 3... but they are all on the same firmware, and all settings seem to match.

Guru Elite

Re: Why are my IAP-105's showing different 802.11 wireless types

What is the problem?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Hi jfrish, 

If I've understood correctly, you now have five IAP 105 units broadcasting 2 ssids. So you expect 5 bssids on b/g/n and 5 bssids on a/n. But you see different b/g/n and a/n counts on your tool. 

I don't see any bssids on the screen shot. You need a tool that would show the bssids and you have to check that against the "# show ap bss-table" output from you IAPs. 

Thanks,
Rajaguru Vincent
CWNA | CWSP | CWAP | CWDP | ACMP

I purposed removed the SSID's in the first screenshot, here they are:

We are seeing inconsistant speeds depending on the area of the office we are.  It's my understanding these IAP-105's are "Sticky" APs so we have seen users get stuck on the radio on the other side of the office.... now besides that point we have also seen users with full signal only getting 20-50MBps, they go to the other side of the office get connected to a dif AP and see 300+MBps.  I'm wondering why 3 radios are running one type and 2 running other types...When their configs match and they are the same model radios.

Guru Elite

What utility are you using to report the SSIDs in the screenshot?  You should use an alternative utility to compare.  The first screenshot had channel 5.  Did you add channel 5 to the regulatory domain?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I don't have the Channels limited:

Guru Elite

I would use another utility to double-check what is being seen.

Colin Joseph

But even clients are seeing a weird mix of AN, GN

Looks like you have 40Mhz enabled on the 2.4Ghz channels, that should be removed as some client scan utilities don't report 40Mhz 2.4Ghz scanning properly. Additionally, from the first utility you showed, it looks to only be showing the radio phy rate, not the actual data rates. I agree with Colin, find a new/better utility, and if need be open a TAC case to have them analyze your config if need be. I find it hard to trust the output from scanning tools that report irregular data. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: