Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Will VRRP work if my access points are directly connected to one of my controllers? I think not

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Will VRRP work if my access points are directly connected to one of my controllers? I think not

Posted Oct 22, 2014 07:34 AM

I have a training environment and I have an 800 controller and a 200 controller. They are both connected to the same switch and a router running DHCP and DNS. But the only two APs (65) and one air monitor (70) are directly connected to my 800. I am trying to show active/standby redundancy or any kind of redundancy for that matter and how VRRP works but it doesn't work. I think it is because the APs/AM are directly connected to the 800. What do you guess think? Let me know.

• 2.  RE: Will VRRP work if my access points are directly connected to one of my controllers? I think not
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2014 08:46 AM

no, it will not work, the APs will have no path to get to the other controller if the one they are connected to fails.

Try connecting them to the switch instead.

• 3.  RE: Will VRRP work if my access points are directly connected to one of my controllers? I think not

Posted Oct 22, 2014 10:18 AM

pmonardo is correct if your 800 controller fails this won´t be redundant but I think you just want to test and in that case I´d say this should work fine.

Make sure the VLAN that will be used with VRRP is propagated to both controllers (ping eachother) and make sure that the AP, if on another subnet, can route to the VRRP VLAN.

• 4.  RE: Will VRRP work if my access points are directly connected to one of my controllers? I think not

Posted Oct 22, 2014 10:18 AM

Awesome. Thank you. That is what I thought but I could not find any information that said not to directly connect them when using VRRP.