Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Win 7 clients seeing multiple wireless profiles for same ssid

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Win 7 clients seeing multiple wireless profiles for same ssid

Posted Aug 19, 2013 02:56 PM

I have a Global customer that uses the same SSID and AAA settings at all locations so that their mobile workforce can always connect as they travel to different corporate locations around the world.

Some of their users that are running Windows 7 are seeing 2 wireless profiles appear on their laptops for the same ssid - for example 

Employee

Employee.2

The controllers are all configured with the same ssids, authentication types and user roles.  If one of the workstations that has an Employee.2 profile automatically connects using this profile it doesn't work.  The Employee.2 profile was not created by the user or network administrator.

I Googled this and found it's a reported problem on some of the Microsoft dicussion lists, but their is no explanation as to why it occurs. 

The customer wants to know if there is any configuration setting on the Aruba side that would prevent this second client profile from apprearing.  

• 2.  RE: Win 7 clients seeing multiple wireless profiles for same ssid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2013 03:08 PM
    Are they using Group Policy to automatically push out the wireless profile?

• 3.  RE: Win 7 clients seeing multiple wireless profiles for same ssid

Posted Aug 19, 2013 03:38 PM

For the Employee profile, yes.  The Employee.2 shows up on its own.

Here is a link to some threads off a microsoft blog from other users experiencing the same issue - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wireless-network-name-mislabeled-as-name-2/9a502f7a-0e23-4e57-bc56-2dfb9b76aed7

I don't know if there is anything we can do on our side to prevent it, but I'd at least like to be able to let them know what is causing it.  It appears to be a Microsoft issue.

RB.

• 4.  RE: Win 7 clients seeing multiple wireless profiles for same ssid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2013 07:29 PM

I've had this issue in the past when the network is ocnfigured via Group Policy. If my memory serves me right, I think it has to do with the network location (Domain, private, public). Are both locations in the same AD domain or same top-level DNS domain?